Day 4 - Miami, OK to Amarillo, TX


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
May 16th 2012
Published: May 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Pryor Creek BridgePryor Creek BridgePryor Creek Bridge

We saw a lot of old bridge through Oklahoma. This one was a great example.
What a loooong day! We got up and hit the road in Miami at about 8:00am and immediately made a wrong turn through town and got a nice tour of some farm fields in Oklahoma for a few miles. As we turned around we met a nice black lab who seemed to want to come along with us. We found our way, hit Route 66, and headed west. Oklahoma has a lot of old steel arch and truss bridges through it that were neat to see. One of them towards the end of the day had 38 steel arches holding it up; quite a long bridge and pretty impressive for having been built back in the 30s.

We stopped for lunch in Stroud, OK to eat at the Rock Cafe. It's another place that was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and it was really good. Dad had a reuben and I had an alligator burger, which was great. The rest of the town, and a lot of other towns that we passed through today were really run-down with a lot of abandoned store-fronts. It's kind of sad to see how these towns don't have much left to them aside
Multiple ArchesMultiple ArchesMultiple Arches

There were twin bridges here, but they dismantled one, and moved each of the arches to locations nearby in parks and other private properties. We're actually standing on one section taking this picture of the remaining bridge.
from farming and some industry. Not too many people drive 66 anymore.

After almost 200 miles on 66 we decided to hop onto I40 to head for the state line. We made one more stop in Texola right at the border, which is a ghost town that is rotting into the ground. We got a few great photos here, and will plan to post them tonight.

Finally, we made it into Shamrock, TX where we planned to spend the night at around 9:00pm. Unfortunately, there's a oil boom going on in Eastern Texas, and every hotel was completely booked except for 2 rooms at the Irish Inn. We went to take a look, and based on the smell of urine in the lobby, decided to make a reservation another 84 miles west in Amarillo. So, back on the bikes and another 84 miles under our belts, we made it into Amarillo around 11:00pm after grabbing a bite to eat, and got a room for the evening (the reason this blog post is coming in the morning).

We both hit the beds exhausted after nearly 500 miles for the day. Luckily, it means a lighter day today as
TulsaTulsaTulsa

A train on display on the outskirts of Tulsa.
we head for Santa Fe, NM.

It's now 8:45am on Thursday, and time to finish up and hit the road. It's another beautiful, clear day out with a high of 87 expected. We'll post more tonight, including pictures of both days once we get into Santa Fe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

4 days with dad already...4 days with dad already...
4 days with dad already...

Another 18 to go?! I'm not so sure about that...
Round BarnRound Barn
Round Barn

Arcadia, OK
TexolaTexola
Texola

A ghost town on the border of OK and TX.
TexolaTexola
Texola

Pretty deserted.


16th May 2012

I'M TIRED ALREADY
Wonderful experience, but it makes me tired just thinking about that ride. Hope you have a great day tomorrow. Looking forward to the pictures. Stay Safe.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb