Out of Africa


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee
May 21st 2012
Published: May 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Five years.<span><span><span><span> Africa had become our home.<span> The foods, the means of travel, the landscape, the people, the brethren – all had become the norm for us.<span> We were now saying goodbye.<span> We boarded a bus headed for Dar Es Salaam on the morning of April 25th.<span> On the way the bus developed engine trouble.<span> We were just north of Mikumi National Park, stranded on the side of the road.<span> Thanks to some quick work by Charles and Carey, a bus headed for Dar was notified of our plight.<span> After a two hour delay, our luggage was reloaded and we climbed aboard.<span>Also, one of my former students from the school of preaching who was living in Dar made arrangements for a third bus to take us from the city bus terminal to the airport.

Thankfully these various maneuvers allowed us to arrive in time to catch our flight.<span> Flights were from Dar Es Salaam (with a short touch down time in Nairobi, Kenya) to Zurich, Switzerland.<span> Zurich to Chicago - where we cleared all our baggage through customs.<span> Our final flight was from Chicago to Birmingham, Alabama.<span> Our total travel time was over 50 hours!

Since arriving back in these United States we have been on the road.<span> We arrived on a Thursday night and the very next Sunday I preached in Mississippi.<span> The next Sunday I preached in Alabama.<span> The next I preached in Kentucky.<span> All three congregations proved to be made up of wonderful Christians.<span> However, we are seriously considering the work in Kentucky.<span> It is a mission congregation that was established just a few years ago, in a county where the church of our Lord was unknown.

Hawesville, Kentucky is situated right on the Ohio River.<span> This new congregation is reaching out to northern Kentucky as well as southern Indiana.<span> In fact, members come from both states.<span> It is only about a 10 minute drive from the church building to Tell City, Indiana (population about 10,000).

Please pray for our family as we consider this work.<span> We thank all our supporters for your help and patience as we strive to become reestablished.<span> Our cultural adjustment is certainly more complicated due to the necessity of living out of suitcases and being on the road.<span> We look forward to sharing more definite news when such is available.

With love and appreciation,

George, Joy, Jacob, Luke, Lindsey

Advertisement



22nd May 2012

Back in the States
George we are so glad y'all are back in the states. We know you miss so many of the precious brothers and sisters and friends over seas. Judy and I wish and pray for your quick transition here at home. We know anywhere you all go you will succeed in Christ' work. Welcome home, if there is anything we can do to help any of you please let us know. Check us out at www.tiftoniachurchofchrist.com Take care. Jim and Judy Marshall
22nd May 2012

Hello
Hello to you all and prayerfully home safe. We think of you often, talk of the times we have shared, and pray our paths cross again for new memories. My prayer is for you and all prayers, that God allows you to be blessed and be continued servants in his work, whereever you may be.
22nd May 2012

welcome home my friends
I'm glad that you arrived safely. I wish you well in your search for your place to work. I know that you'll be busy about the Lord's work wherever that takes you. I continue to share the gospel with others thru the study guide that you put together. Last night I finished lesson two with a lady that was taught & baptized into the Lord's church some 13 years ago. Her health and other things pulled her away. She's recently started attending again and is so eagar to know and understand the simple truths of the gospel. She's busy sharing what she knows and I an thrilled to be able to help her. I have a skeleton of a plan that I'm working on. I'd like to share it with you at some time when you get settled in. Please stay in touch and when the moment's right, we'll talk. (It has to do with the mission field of south Mississippi.) Take care, Brian
23rd May 2012

Welcome back
We are praying for the right work/church family for you to serve. God Bless you in new work.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb