Day 16: Dallas to Memphis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
December 22nd 2012
Published: January 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bags to coach 7.45, 8am departure. Today was a long day of driving from Texas to Tennasee. We had a stop at walmart a couple of hours in where we all got our presents for our Secret Santa for christmas then some lunch then back on the bus. Our next stop a few hours later we stoped in the town of Little Rock. We stoped at the town hall where they had a few monumuments to look at, the most famous was called the little rock nine. A true story of 9 african america teenagers who were the first to be let into an all white high school, they faced many challenges with this, but eventually were let in. I think there was a movie made on the story, so look it up if your interested, it really is a good story in the huge cival rights battle that took place in the south of America. I cleaverly managed to drop my camera in the toilets at the town hall, RIP camera you took some awesome photo's!!!

Then again back on the bus and we were headed to Memphis! Our hotel was in down town so we were dropped off and checked in before a short walk to the resturant Kooky Konocks, where we were headed to dinner. Without doubt the best included dinner i have had so far, we started with fried pickles (there are litterally pickles everwhere here, and this was a new one we were trying, it was amazing, i dont know why we dont do it at home!) then a salad, then our main course which i had grilled chicken, mash potato and slaw, and finished it off with smores!! the american favourite was a toasted marshmallow, a grame cracker and hersheys chocolate all squished together...yum, it was so rich so one was enough but it was amazing. Four boys on the tour decided to take on the challenge at this resturant. Only ever taken on one time before, and featured on Man vs. Food was the ginormous 32oz burger!! Check out the pics it is huge! They tried super hard, but again not even close to finishing! but it was understandable, as it was beyond anything you could imagine. If split evently between the four of then it was almost 6kg each!

After dinner we headed to Beale St. The most famous street in Memphis. We started at Coyote Ugly where Emma was coerced to dance on the bar. Then we headed to the next place, a bar called The Alfred where there was a band playing. we had a few drinks and a few shots and danced for an hour or so. At the begining of the night we were all given a bracelet for free entry into club 152 so we headed there after. It was a 3 story club but we didnt really like it so we left pretty soon after leaving. When we left we went back onto Beale St. walked around a little and found a bar that was serving fishbowl cocktails, we got 4 of them, so yummy!! We headed back to Beale St. and found some people on another Contiki group who were coming the opposite direction to us. We made a few friends for the night and went off to find another bar. Around the corner we found The Flying Saucer, an Irish beer bar. This is where we remained for the rest of the night until 3.30am when we all decided to head back to the hotel for bed. On the way we found Willy our driver and he showed us the way home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb