Knoxville, Tennessee - United States of America


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Knoxville
September 12th 2007
Published: October 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Knoxville, Tennessee - USA


KnoxvilleKnoxvilleKnoxville

Knoxville, Tennessee - United States of America

Sep 12, 2007









City official name :Knoxville
Founded date :
Location :Tennessee State
Elavation :? ft (? m)
Area :Approximately ? square miles (? km²).
Facts :Founded in 1786, Knoxville is the third-largest city in the state of Tennessee, behind Memphis and Nashville, and is the county seat of Knox County. It is also the principal city of the Knoxville Metropolitan Statistical Area" which is included in the "Knoxville-Sevierville-La Follette Combined Statistical Area". As of the 2000 United States Census, Knoxville had a total population of 173,890 with a metro population of 655,400.

Of Tennessee's four major cities, Knoxville is second oldest to Nashville which was founded in 1779. Knoxville also was the state's first capital when Tennessee was admitted into the Union in 1796, in which capacity it served until 1819, when the capital was moved to Murfreesboro. The city was named in honor of the first Secretary of War, Henry Knox.

One of Knoxville's nicknames is The Marble City. In the early 20th century, a number of quarries were active in the city, supplying Tennessee pink marble (actually Ordovician limestone of the Holston Formation) to much of the country. Notable
KnoxvilleKnoxvilleKnoxville

Knoxville, Tennessee - United States of America
buildings such as the National Gallery in Washington are constructed of Knoxville marble. The National Gallery's fountains were turned by Candoro Marble Company, which once ran the largest marble lathes in the United States.

Knoxville was once also known as the Underwear Capital of the World. In the 1930s, no fewer than 20 textile and clothing mills operated in Knoxville, and the industry was the city's largest employer. Most of the mills were located in the historic Old City. In the 1950s, the mills began to close, causing an overall population loss of 10% by 1960.

Knoxville is also the home of the University of Tennessee's primary campus (UTK), and the city is often referred to as "Knoxvegas" by the UTK student body. The university's sports teams, called the "Volunteers" or "Vols," are extremely popular in the surrounding area. In recognition of this popularity, the telephone area code for Knox County and eight adjacent counties is 865 (VOL). Knoxville is also the home of the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, almost entirely thanks to the popularity of Pat Summitt and the University of Tennessee women's basketball team.

As of 2007, the current mayor is Bill Haslam, who
KnoxvilleKnoxvilleKnoxville

Knoxville, Tennessee - United States of America
defeated Madeline Rogero in 2003. The previous mayor of sixteen years, Victor Ashe, was named United States Ambassador to Poland in June 2004. Ashe was term-limited and could not serve another term.

The first humans to live in what is now Knoxville were of the Woodland tribe, a group of hunters and trappers driven south from the Great Lakes region by climatic changes, probably about 1000 B.C. Their culture eventually gave way to that of the mound builders, whose influence was felt throughout most of the South; a burial mound from this era can be found on the UT campus. The Shawnee and Creek briefly occupied small areas in the state, but little archaeological evidence has been found. By the 18th century, the only native peoples living permanently around what would later be Knoxville were the Cherokee. The Cherokee people called this area Shacomage, or "Place of Blue Smoke."

Early contacts between the European settlers and the Cherokee were fairly cordial, which encouraged colonial expansion into the land west of the Great Smoky Mountains. White's Fort was settled in 1786 by James White, a militia officer during the American Revolutionary War. When William Blount, the territorial governor of
KnoxvilleKnoxvilleKnoxville

Knoxville, Tennessee - United States of America
the Southwest Territory, moved the territorial capital to White's Fort in 1791, he renamed it Knoxville in honor of Henry Knox, the American Revolutionary War general and Washington's Secretary of War.

One of William Blount's first tasks was to meet with the Cherokee and establish territorial boundaries; this he accomplished almost immediately in the Treaty of Holston, and he believed that he had "purchased" much of what is now East Tennessee when it was signed in 1791. However, the terms of the treaty came under dispute, culminating in continued violence on both sides. Several large Cherokee attacks on Knoxville: 200 Cherokee lead by John Watts marched on Knoxville in 1792, and a second group of Cherokee attacked Covet's Station in 1793. Both attacks were repelled by Knoxville settlers. Knoxville settlers attacked the Cherokee several times as well. When the government invited the Cherokee's chief Hanging Maw for negotiations in 1793, Knoxville settlers attacked the Cherokee against orders, killing the chief's wife. Peace was renegotiated in 1794.

Despite these tensions, the Treaty of Holston opened the area to more settlers. Knoxville served as the territorial capital until 1796, when a constitutional convention was held in Knoxville to establish Tennessee
KnoxvilleKnoxvilleKnoxville

Knoxville, Tennessee - United States of America
as a state. When Tennessee entered the United States in 1796, Knoxville was the first capital of the state until 1815, when the capital was moved to Murfreesboro. On May 28, 1830, President Jackson signed the Indian Removal Act, requiring all Native Americans to leave their homes and move west of the Mississippi River. Some Cherokees refused to go, and filed a lawsuit against the government to stop this from taking place. However, many of the remaining Cherokee left the Knoxville area at this time in the Trail of Tears.

During the ante-bellum period, the Knoxville and Knox County included plantations, although slavery was not as widespread in East Tennessee as it was in Middle and West Tennessee. This undoubtably contributed to sixty-nine percent of East Tennesseeans voting against secession in 1861. The Greater Warner Tabernacle AME Zion Church, Knoxville was reportedly a station on the underground railroad.

During the American Civil War, the Battle of Campbell's Station was outside Knoxville on November 16, 1863. In that battle Confederate troops led by General James Longstreet unsuccessfully attacked Union forces under General Ambrose Burnside. The next day, the two week long Siege of Knoxville began when Longstreet placed Knoxville
KnoxvilleKnoxvilleKnoxville

Knoxville, Tennessee - United States of America
under siege. The siege, which culminated in the Battle of Fort Sanders, failed and Longstreet returned with his men to General Robert E. Lee. A separate incident occurred at the Baker Peters House during the Civil War; Dr. Harvey Baker was killed by Union troops.

The Battle of Fort Sanders (precipitated by the Siege of Knoxville, which began on November 17, 1863) was an engagement of the American Civil War fought in Knoxville, Tennessee. The Confederacy had never had effective control of large areas of East Tennessee. There had been little slavery practiced in East Tennessee, partly due to moral opposition to the practice and partly due to the fact that little of the land was suitable to plantation agriculture; pro-Union and Republican sentiment ran high and most East Tennesseans had not been in favor of secession. Therefore, Union forces had little trouble occupying Knoxville early in the conflict.

In 1901, train robber Kid Curry (whose real name was Harvey Logan), a member of Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch was captured after shooting two deputies on Knoxville's Central Avenue. He escaped from the Knoxville Jail and rode away on the sheriff's stolen horse.

In 1933 during the Great Depression, the Tennessee Valley Authority was founded and headquartered in Knoxville by the U.S. government to help create jobs and attract manufacturing dependent on cheap electricity.

In 1948, the soft drink Mountain Dew was first marketed in Knoxville, originally designed as a mixer for whiskey.

The Headquarters of the Tennessee Valley Authority, located in Downtown Knoxville, also known as the TVA Twin Towers, were built in the 1970s, and were among Knoxville's first modern high-rise buildings.

Knoxville hosted the 1982 World's Fair, one of the most popular world's fairs in U.S. history with 11 million visitors in attendance, from which the Sunsphere theme structure remains.

In 1999, the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame opened in the city.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.523s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 96; dbt: 0.3804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb