Great Smoky Mountains NP via Foothills Parkway


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We all slept very well last night and broke camp this morning uneventfully. We went the wrong way upon leaving the park, but just called it a sightseeing detour and went on our way. We went through Soddy-Daisy, Dayton, and Athens, towns I hadn't been through in many years. They've grown a bit. We got on the Foothills Parkway and headed toward Townsend. We intended to go south from Wear Valley to our campground in the Great Smoky Mountains Natl Park, but never saw the road and ended up in Pigeon Forge with all its tourist traps and traffic. We later talked with a park ranger and he told us that there isn't a sign for the road we wanted. Oh well.

We set up camp in Elkmont Campground, a beautiful place in the park with streams gurgling past the campsites. It was cool and nice, too. We headed to Cades Cove, which took way too long, but it was a nice enough drive, though the road was narrow and rough in spots. When we got back to the campground, Ethan built a fire and Kerry cooked supper.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Jake CreekJake Creek
Jake Creek

This was just across the road from our campsite


30th June 2009

Looks like something I have seen before.
Again, Glad to see all three of you. Like have my exstended family at home. Take care, have a great vacation and drive safe. Tom

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb