Our Gatlinburg Getaway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Gatlinburg
July 11th 2007
Published: July 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Gatlinburg has been one of our favorite vacation destinations for 50 years -- yes 50! My mom and dad started taking us to Gatlinburg in 1955. Gatlinburg was a small village then with the main feature being Ole' Smoky Candy Kitchen where we could stand outside the shop and look through the window while they made fudge and taffy. Then we'd go inside and wait until they started handing out free taffy samples. Although the display of candies was overwhelming, we always selected a caramel apple with nuts to enjoy on our drive home.

For many years we have vacationed in hotels and cabins in
Gatlinburg, Tennessee, each time needing a larger cabin because our families have grown. We love the cabins in the Smoky Mountains because they are completely furnished, and we don't have to take anything but food. One of the best cabins we stayed in was called Bear Paw.
Bear Paw Cabin is a luxury 4 BR cabin overlooking the Smoky Mountains. You wouldn't believe the huge logs used to build this cabin! When you walk in the front door, it takes your breath away -- it is beautifully furnished, and you can see the mountains from the living room which has huge windows. We really enjoyed the game room downstairs and the luxurious kitchen -- yes, we love to eat!

There was another cabin next door to Bear Paw, but I can't remember the name of it. We also had that cabin because there were so many people in our group and we wanted to stay close together.

Our mornings start off with a good mountain breakfast of country ham, scrambled eggs, fruit, biscuits, coffee, and orange juice. Dinner is cooked up on the grill out on the deck -- grilled hamburgers, baked beans, chips, desserts! Then we sit on the deck, prop our feet up, and enjoy the view of the Smoky Mountains.

Some family members like to visit the unique gift shops downtown or shop at the outlet malls in Pigeon Forge. One of our favorite things to do in Gatlinburg is visit Ripley's Aquarium -- a world-class aquarium with sharks.

There is a wonderful park on the river, Mynatt Park, which has picnic tables and grills, horsehoe pit, basketball court, baseball diamond, tennis courts, and a playground for children.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb