Harney Peak and Harley HOGS (Sturgis)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Sturgis
August 24th 2009
Published: March 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

"Keep close to Nature's heart, yourself; and break clear once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." John Muir

After traveling a mile through meadows and forest, we began to see Elkorn Mountain, with dramatic peaks and rock outcrops. Climbing steeply, the trail emerges onto a ridge where users can see the back of Mt. Rushmore. Two thirds fo the way to the top is a popular outlook and hitching rail for thsoe who take their horse to the summit. This is the most popular route to Harney Peak...Trail #9. It leads to a fire tower built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), now on the Register of Historic Places. The trail is steep, but the rewards include stunning views of four states. Harney Peak was named after General William Selby Harney, in 1855. The CCC constructed a stone tower in 1938 that served as a fire lookout until 1967. In 1982, the tower, dam and pump house were placed on the National Register of Historic Places because of their historic significance.

Started at Sylvan Lake and 3.5 miles later you are at the peak.

No permits are required. Harney Peak is located in the Black Elk Wilderness, within the Norbeck Wildlife Preserve in the Black Hills National Forest.

All hikers going to Harney Peak must use the registraion system when they enter the Black Elk Wilderness. Failure to registure could result in a $100.00 fine. Registration stations are located at most trail heads or at the wilderness boundry. Free maps can be found at the Forest Service offices in the area.

This route follows the Harney Peak-Sylvan Lake Trail for 3.5 miles one way, and 1,100 feet of elevation gain. I would rate this hike as easy to moderate. This trail receives heavy use.

At 7,242 feet, Harney Peak is the highest point in South Dakota, as well as the highest point east of the Rocky Mountains, and west of the Pyrenees Mountains.
At the top is an historic fire lookout ranger station built in 1939. It is no longer in use but was quite interesting to explore and the views were spectacular!

And then came Sturgis the next day...what an experience. I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Rob & JoLynn




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

Registering to enter wilderness area.
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Diseased pine trees are very evident.
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

Fellow BMW R1200GS riders from New York.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb