Route 66 - Day 21


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Waffles in the morningWaffles in the morningWaffles in the morning

Anne loves having a toaster, and somewhere to plug it in.
Up and gone before 8 again today. Since we were so close to our next stop we decidied to see the caverns at Wind Cave National Park. The park has a really neat history. The caverns are some of the most complex in the world with the largest extent of boxwork structures ever found. They are also the 5th longest with over 100 miles of mapped tunnels on three levels all within 1 square mile. The tour was nice and cool (52 degrees) and the walking was good exercise.

About 20 miles down the road we stopped at the Crazy Horse Memorial. The undertaking is huge and the video about the process was very interesting. There were no explosons while we were there but watching the crews work from a distance was quite interesting. The memorial is privately funded so progress is slow at times. The North American Native Peoples Museum, housed at the same site was interesting as well. Eventually there will be a Native American Medical college on the site too.

After a few more stops, we made it to the KOA by 4PM and pulled into our first spot. We skipped a stop between Chicago and
Scenery changeScenery changeScenery change

We skirted the Bad lands today and got a nice look at something other than corn and soybeans.
Mount Rushmore and added a day to our stay here. We will probably have to move tomorrow but it will be quick. The KOA is the largest we've seen yet with a huge kids area, restaurant, trail riding and other fun stuff. Michelle and Anne hit the waterslide, pool, jumping pillow and movie theater after setting up while Tony took a nap. Tomorrow will be a day of rest as we wait for our long term spot to open up and plan some activities for the rest of our stay through Sunday morning.

Tony's Trailering Tip - Make sure you understand how to operate all of the equipment you carry with you.
Michelle's Musings - (This space intentionally left blank)
Anne's Annecdotes - Don't argue with the man parking the trailer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Caves!Caves!
Caves!

Another state where we've been in caves.
Crazy Horse MonumentCrazy Horse Monument
Crazy Horse Monument

The process started a little over 60 years ago. Not bad considering the first 50 were done by one man and his family. They say Mount Rushmore would fit in the space to the left of the face.
PerspectivePerspective
Perspective

The plaster model is 1/34th the size of the sculpture in the background.
LevitationLevitation
Levitation

Michelle is mastering the art of levitation.
Catching AirCatching Air
Catching Air

The jumping pillow seems to be a success.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb