Day 9 7/01/10


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

burro 1burro 1burro 1

They seemed to own the road.
Today we get an early start in order to cover everything we want to get done today. We will be visiting Custer State Park for a driving tour of the 18 mile Wildlife Loop Rd., going by the Crazy Horse carving, and returning to Spokane Creek by way of Needles Hwy.
On the wildlife loop drive you will see pronghorn antelope, buffallo, and very curious burros, that appeared to be looking for a handout at every turn, even though there were signs posted everywhere not to feed the wildlife. We did not realize the amount of time it would take to do the wildlife tour, and when we were finished we all agreed we were starving, and could not continue without some nourishment. Aaah there is a small town just west of here about 5 miles and it is not out of our way, so off we go in search of a place to get a midday snack. Leta's favorite snack is ice cream, but after two or three days of that I am hoping for something a bit more substantial, and we found it at The Dakota Cowboy Restaurant in Custer, S. D.
After we refueled ourselves,
222

Traffic had to stop several times, and sometimes manuver around them in order to continue.
we set out for the Needles Hwy. and back to camp.















Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

CELL PHONE TOWERCELL PHONE TOWER
CELL PHONE TOWER

Why is this important? I t is the first phone service we have had since arriving in the Mt. Rushmore area. There was a pulloff and we all stopped and tried to contact everyone we know.
Crazy Horsre CarvingCrazy Horsre Carving
Crazy Horsre Carving

Long distant picture. I was by here about 6 yrs ago and there doesn't seem to have been much progress. We all decided it was not worth financing there next years work with the fee they wanted, so we made our way back to camp.
Needles EyeNeedles Eye
Needles Eye

The reason for the name Needles Hwy.
Bus in tunnel.Bus in tunnel.
Bus in tunnel.

A tunnel that I would not want to try to put my RV through.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb