Custer State Park


Advertisement
Published: September 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Yep; today was Custer State Park day. How to best spell Custer State Park?

P-u-l-c-h-r-i-t-u-d-e!

We drove around a lake and such, and here and there, up and down. Very few places are level in CSP. And the roads are twisty, curvaceous and narrow. With an early start, we saw that we avoided getting held up in a major black-topping project where crews and machines were sitting, waiting for the union start to work whistle went off. We were beneficiaries of the “whistle-bit” union rule.

We drove on the Park’s Wildlife Loop, anxious to see some critters. Well, we saw some vehicles looking at each other, and then some bicyclists looking at us. It was a long ride before we saw our first wildlife. But after awhile, we came across a gang of bison grazing in a ditch.

Then we came across a herd of begging burros. Folk would stop and feed ‘em. We stopped to take pictures. And that is when Nan told a fellow the burros weren’t to be fed. A short-lived friendly argument ensued. Nan don’t suffer fools very well; I know that from personal experience.

The way these burros get you to slow down for them is to leave deposits in the roadway to make you slow down. If you don’t, it is not a pretty sound to speed through this stuff. You gotta hand them a sense of humor about it though.

The best was saved for last; the Needles highway; more twisty, narrow and all than any of the rest. Why, going through a narrow 8 foot wide tunnel, we had to fold in the side mirrors on The Beast to get through. Folk on each end of the tunnel have to take turns driving through one way, and then the other.

I think I got some good photos of the Needles. And some panoramas too. Tomorry will be our last day in Custer. We’ve seen most everything on our list, and enjoyed it all.

More to come,

Paddy




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

CSP Burro 01CSP Burro 01
CSP Burro 01

No one in this photo has missed a meal!


16th September 2009

Feeding burro
Ah true to my own heart when I read: A short-lived friendly argument ensued. I think at times being riled for good cause is ok.

Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0989s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb