Badlands, Big Horn, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons.


Advertisement
Published: September 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After some much needed R&R in Minnesota, we were ready for some camping in the Badlands. Not long after we took the exit for the park....BAM....it was in your face. The landscape left me speechless!!! It looked like a mini Grand Canyon that i'd seen on post cards. It took us two hours to go five miles into the park because every time we rounded a corner we saw another spectacular view. We checked in at the visitor center, got some maps, and inquired about back-country camping. Back-country camping is allowed but we were warned about the wildlife and the lack of water.
Eventually we decided to make camp at a free site on the south end of the park. Sage creek campground was a little 15 site camp tucked in a small valley with wild buffalo wandering freely everywhere. Awesome!!!!!
After setting up our tent we decided to get some hiking in. Man, the views from atop the surrounding hills were beautiful. That evening a storm system rolled through and dumped marble sized hail,high winds,and hard rain. Our tent made it through with flying colors but other campers weren't so fortunate. By morning half the campers were gone or sleeping in their vehicles.....sissies!!!! Oh yeah, we also found a salamander underneath our tent, he too realized the awesome dryness of out Eureka! single walled tent!!
The next day we packed up and headed out to visit some caves. Wind cave located in the Black Hills proved to be pretty interesting. We tried to do some spelunking at some nearby caves but it was not to be......I was too big to fit into some of the cave routes... 😞 Oh well, next stop, Yellowstone.
Our route had us going through the Big Horn National forest. By the time we arrived it was late, we were tired, and darkness was upon us. We motored up into the mountains and tried to find a secluded spot to spend the night but it was no go. We ended up backing the trailer in front of a ranchers access gate and we called it a night. The morning brought us sunshine and cold temps. After some quick breakfast/coffee we hit the road.
Finally......Yellowstone! Once we were through the northeast gate we realized something.....we had arrived a few days too early....it was Sunday....of Labor-day weekend. The brainless yahooo tourists were everywhere. We tried in vain to find an open campground but they were all booked. In the end we had to leave the park and cross the border into Montana just to get a campsite!! the four days we spent in Yellowstone were "awesome". I'll let the pix speak for themselves!! The Grand Tetons proved to be just as awesome!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



16th September 2011
Stacy

What the heck
Stacy, one day you will have to tell me what the heck are you doing. lol Looks like you are having fun. eddie
19th September 2011
Grand teton5

Looks like you'll have to make it back this way sometime the truck is dirty LOL needs buffed :)

Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb