Leaving home


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Henri-Chapelle American Memorial CemeteryHenri-Chapelle American Memorial CemeteryHenri-Chapelle American Memorial Cemetery

The main purpose of this trip was to attend the Memorial Day ceremony at Henri-Chapelle Cemetery. More about that visit on the blog entry for May 28th.

Introduction:



This trip had as its main purpose a visit to the Henri-Chapelle American Memorial Cemetery in Belgium. Anne's father was killed in WWII, on November 29th, 1944, and is buried there. We timed the visit so that we could attend the Memorial Day ceremony on Saturday, May 28th of this year. Since we were probably only going to do this trip to Europe once, we decided to start in the UK, mainly the Cotswolds since we love to hike, and that area offered some pretty good hikes/walks. There is a UK National Trail called the Cotswold Way that is a 102-mile (164 km) long-distance footpath, running along the Cotswold Edge escarpment of the Cotswold Hills in England. We planned to spend some time in that area and hike/walk a bit of that trail.

A couple of the entries have one or two short videos available. If the entry has a video, it will show at the top of the entry. The text and pictures witll be below the videos.

We flew to London, spent the first two nights in a B&B near Winchcombe in the Cotswolds, then one afternoon/night in London, then the Eurostar train to Brussels and five nights on the continent, returning on a flight from Brussels on June 1st. Had a wonderful and memorable time. The rest of the blog will try to give a flavor of the trip, though descriptions and pictures truly cannot convey the real impressions made by all that we saw, particularly those from the experience at the cemetery.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb