Where the Civil War Began


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Carolina » Charleston
September 10th 2012
Published: September 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

April 2009

While staying at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for Spring Break, we took a day trip to Charleston and Fort Sumter. Myrtle Beach to Charleston was an easy two hour drive south on US 17. Our Garmin though actually took us to Fort Moultrie. We did finally make it to Fort Sumter, and luckily, just in time for the ferry.

Fort Sumter National Monument, while in Charleston Harbor, is actually reached from the Fort Sumter Tour Boat facility at Liberty Square in downtown Charleston. You can visit the fort daily ( 10 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. ) from April 1st to Labor Day.

While there is no admission charge to the visitor's center, there is a charge to ride the ferry over to Fort Sumter. There was neither a military nor AAA discount. The visitor's center contains a mini-museum and a gift shop.

After a short narrated ferry ride, we arrived at the fort, and were met by a park ranger, who will give you a short (15-20 minute) historical talk. Due to the hour time constraint, we by-passed the talk and decided to explore on our own.

Fort Sumter was the target of the South's surprise attack on April 12, 1861, which touched off the Civil War. If you are a Civil War purest when it comes to historical sites, you may be disappointed. Fort Sumter today appears nothing like it did in 1861. Not surprisingly, considering the bombardments it endured. There are numerous plaques scattered around the grounds that enlighten you to the fort's history. One of the most surprising facts being that Fort Sumter Island is manmade. Be sure to save time to visit the museum within the fort. Not only is it cool, as in temperature, and a welcome respite on a southern humid day, but it is filled with artifacts that have been unearthered in the many excavations over the years.

After our visit to Fort Sumter, we boarded the trolley and toured Charleston. The trolley was an inexpensive and extremely easy way to see the city. You can get off the trolley at any stop, explore as long as you like, and reboard at no additional cost. As this was a day trip, and we had already used up a good portion of it at the fort and lunch, we unfortunately did not have the time to explore The Citadel: "West Point of the South", the Calhoun Mansion, Museum of Science & History, or many of the other interesting sites that Charleston has to offer.

Another day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb