Friday - and the heat goes on ...


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We started out the day walking around The Battery looking at more incredible houses. The Battery is at the very point of the peninsula of Charleston, overlooking the Charleston harbor. The houses that have a direct view of the harbor are all $10 million and up, according to one of the guides.

We finally made it to Jestine's Kitchen, a famous Charleston restaurant that has been written up in Gourmet and Southern Living magazines. This is a casual, southern, 'soul food' place. We had a very early lunch so we didn't have to wait in the typical line that runs down and around the block. We both had fried chicken, and it lived up to the hype - outstanding. We followed this by sharing a piece of Coca-Cola cake. I don't know why it's called that, but it was different, and very good.

Then we went to Boone Hall Plantation - a 'working' plantation. Here, Allison finally got to see her big plantation mansion, even though it was a replica built in the early 1900's. The entrance to this plantation is breathtaking: a three-quarter mile row of live oaks on either side of the lane leading to the main house. The picture doesn't do it justice, but the guide said this plantation, and especially the view down the lane towards the main house, were used as guides for the look of "Gone With The Wind." Also, the movie "The Notebook" was filmed in and around the main house, and the series "Army Wives" is being filmed on the grounds now (we saw the set). We also saw a presentation on the Gullah culture which we enjoyed.

It was another stiflingly hot day here with the temps over 95 and lots of humidity - same as the last couple of days. Typically, we get back to the hotel in the late afternoon/early evening and have a cold drink, shower (again), and collapse for an hour or two before we get ready for dinner. This works pretty well except one realizes that they didn't bring enough, um, underthings to accomodate two changes a day ... and since the hotel has no guest laundry room, and the laundry service charges, for example, $3.25 to launder one undershirt, we just went out and bought new stuff. Saved money!

Our last fancy dinner was at the Charleston Grill, and it was incredible. All of our 'nice restaurant' meals here have been terrific, but the Charleston Grill takes it up one more level. Beautiful setting, live music, impressive presentation, unique and delicious food, and truly professional service made this an unforgettable meal. If you ever are in Charleston, make sure you plan to eat here. By the way, thanks to everyone that provided suggestons for places to eat - they were all great.

Well, one more day to go ...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

great entrancegreat entrance
great entrance

check out the dog statues with sunglasses, floppy hats and parasols ...
Boone Hall PlantationBoone Hall Plantation
Boone Hall Plantation

main house entrance
row of live oaksrow of live oaks
row of live oaks

leading to the gated entrance of the main house.


28th June 2010

thank you
Allison and Jeff, It's Mickey Bakst the GM at the Charleston Grill and on behalf of all of us here, thanks so much for enjoying what we love to do!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb