the dominant female!


Advertisement
Published: May 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

hello!
I was in my sociology of the family class and we watched a video that was very intriging. There is a community in southwest China that had adopted a totally different culture than our own and I found it be weird but very interesting. This community lives off the land for the majority and has little industrialization and is the mountains far away from any major society. The thing that was most interesting however was the female's role in society. For us, the women ocassionaly has to deal with sexism especially in the 20th century battling with our own rights and batttling to be in the working world. Women have fought hard to be thought of as equal as man however we still deal with the women having the housewife role and being looked down upon. However in this society women are thought as the dominant sex and hold control over men. THe women work all day in the fields working and in the household while the men sit around and pretty much do nothing at all. Marriage is also not stressed in this society and most of the time the women just have boyfriends that come to visit them. One man allowed the documentarist to follow him to visit his girlfriend which was three hours by foot. It is unheard of for the woman to go visit the boyfriend. When the man arrived after an exhausting day the woman often hardly acknowledged the boyfriend until she was done her work. Public affection was unheard of. The man would visit for a couple days every 3 -6 months and when he got too old to make the walk, they would just stop seeing one another. I tried to think of what America would be like if the female was the dominant sex in society and it was weird, growing up especially for people a couple decades ago it would definately by weird but interesting. It is hard to think just because our society has grown with the male being the dominant role but hey maybe it would have been better with the women ruling the world!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb