Concert


Advertisement
Published: April 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Last night I went to a Bruce Springsteen concert in Asbury Park New Jersey. The concert was the last in a four concert series that were deemed “rehearsal shows”. All the money that was profited from the four concerts is going to certain charities and organizations in Asbury Park. For those who are not familiar with Asbury Park, it is a run down and abandoned beach town, which was once a very popular boardwalk and vacation spot years ago. Unfortunately it fell victim to race riots in the late 60’s and 70’s and has not been the same since.
Bruce Springsteen is releasing an album covering the songs of folk singer Pete Seger and other folk classics. With a 17 piece band which includes a horn section, viola’s, stand up bass, banjo, organs, and accordions; Springsteen played for a solid two hours and covered many songs that dealt with serious issues. For example, “My Oklahoma Home” is a song which depicts the hardship of the Dust Bowl, one topic we covered in class this semester. “Mrs. McGrath” is an old Irish anti- war song, while “Eyes on the Prize” and “We Shall Overcome” are songs dealing with the civil rights movement and slavery. I think that even though some of these songs were written over a hundred years ago, they are still relatable today. I commend the fact that Springsteen has made an entire album of his interpretations of these songs because unlike many songs today these actually have a meaning behind them. This weekend Springsteen will be playing in New Orleans along with Bob Dylan and other musicians at a Jazz festival which hopes to raise the spirits (and money) for those who were hit by Hurricane Katrina. Musicians like Bruce really make music in order to help others or promote a message, (not all the time, but a good part) I think that is very honorable and important. I strongly urge everyone to buy this cd and if you have the chance see this concert on tour because it is unlike anything I have ever seen.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb