Gettysburg


Advertisement
Published: July 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Abe and MeAbe and MeAbe and Me

The National Park's information center is wonderful. This bronze sits on the bench in front
Several years ago a Houston doctor came to make a presentation to the Bellville Historical Society on “Medicine during the Civil War.” The official number of the men who died during that conflict is 620+ thousand, but the doctor figured the number was closer to 700,000 when the men who left the battlefield and headed home with injuries that resulted in septicemia and death were taken into account. No penicillin in those days of course.
A person cannot possibly visit Gettysburg and not feel the history. In the three day battle here fifty-one thousand men were either killed, injured or were missing. The wounded and dying were crowded into nearly every building in Gettysburg and the dead lay in shallow inadequate graves; some had not been buried at all. Land was purchased for a proper burial for the Union dead and within four months re-interment began. The cemetery was dedicated on November 1863 with the principal speaker being Edward Everett who was followed by Abraham Lincoln who delivered a speech of 272 words; which is now known as the “Gettysburg Address.” Following the war the remains of 3320 Confederate soldiers were removed from the battlefield to cemeteries in the South.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Battleground--so peaceful nowBattleground--so peaceful now
Battleground--so peaceful now

The whole of Gettysburg is within the National Park. I purchased a driving tour CD, I could stop and start whenever I wanted and the whole tour took me about 6 hours. It really is quite stirring to look over this area. I can't imagine what emotions would come up on Flander's Fields.
Pennsylvania MonumentPennsylvania Monument
Pennsylvania Monument

The Union forces were under the name of the Army of Northern Virginia. Men came from all over the northeast to join the Virginia men. I haven't quite figured out why other than that they wanted the "Union" to stay in tact.
South CaroliniansSouth Carolinians
South Carolinians

There are wonderful monuments throughout the National Park.
Robert E. LeeRobert E. Lee
Robert E. Lee

Lee's right hand during the Civil War was Stonewall Jackson who had died a month or so earlier. It is said that had he lived Lee may well have won the Gettysburg battle.
Pickett's ChargePickett's Charge
Pickett's Charge

This is where it all ended. General Pickett ordered his men forward and they forged on being mowed down in the hundreds. When the Rebel Forces retreated the column was 17 miles long.
Artillery RidgeArtillery Ridge
Artillery Ridge

The whole of the Gettysburg area is in the National Park and so are the campgrounds. Artillery Ridge Resort has a re-enactment every weekend throughout the summer. The volunteers dress in Civil War uniforms, have roll call and put on battlefield manouvers several times during the day.
EncampmentEncampment
Encampment

The re-enactments stay as close to history as possible they sleep in tents and cook over a wood fire. You can see that they love to walk around in their army uniforms and have shooting practice etc.
Eisenhower FarmEisenhower Farm
Eisenhower Farm

The Eisenhowers bought a modest farm here back in the 50's. It was close enough to Washington to be an easy weekend get-away place.
Monty Slept HereMonty Slept Here
Monty Slept Here

Ike invited all and sundry to spend time at the farm. There is a picture of DeGaul that I neglect to include!! Field Marshall Montgomery slept in this weekend cottage here too.
PaintingPainting
Painting

It seems that Ike shared Winston Churchill's hobby of painting. There were several in the house.
GolfingGolfing
Golfing

Of course, Ike loved his golf game and the National Park Service have kept this green and trap up that were just off the breakfast room up to par!
Harpers FerryHarpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry

Harpers Ferry is about 50 miles from Gettysburg and was a half way meeting place for myself and a friend. I was happy to go there because I am interested in the Underground Railroad and Harpers Ferry played a big role in that. Built where the Shenandoah and Potomac merge it was a hive of industry before the Civil War. Unfortunately, I didn't leave there with much more information than I already had
Harpers FerryHarpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry

Harpers Ferry changed hands eight times during the Civil War. There was an armory here, possession of which attracted both sides in the confilict. Built on the steep sides of the mountain it must've been hard to defend.


Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0885s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb