Back to East Lake


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
July 30th 2010
Published: August 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

For our second road/camping trip, we decided to head back to East Lake. We really enjoyed our night over there, and we decided on some areas over in that region. This trip we did 784 miles/ 1261 kilometers. The main roads had more people on them than the first trip but that because we were in more populated area's, the forest roads had barely any people. We put our annual forest road pass to use on this trip.
We stopped for gas and to eat in Sisters Oregon. We really liked the town when we drove thru it the last time around, so decided to check it out more, and it was on our route. We stopped to eat. Maco had rainbow trout, he said it was the best fish he had ever had. I had scallops & fries. It came with all sorts of fixings, green beans, fresh baked rolls, mashed potato's. We shared a vanilla milkshake.
We left the after our meal and walked around the main road and checked the town out a bit. Then we went to get gas and headed into the Deschuttes National Forest. We stopped for firewood on the way up, and both

went around and collected all the dry wood we could find that was the right size for a fire pit. We then headed to our spot we found the campsite we wanted, we claimed it by paying our $16. We set up the tent, and had plenty of time to go down to the lake and look for some treasures from the lake.
There were lots of kids there fishing in the lake, catching fish after fish. We were finding lots of nice stones. We looked until the sun went down, and took some pictures. We then headed back to our campsite, and started a fire. We were still stuffed from our meal from earlier, so we decided we weren't doing any campfire cooking that night.
There was a group of guys, who were camping nearbye. They were walking around using their headlamps, and singing. They sang down by the lake, which is in a caldera, and sang. Their voices carried thru out the 1526 acres of land, their voices travelled over the lake. I am sure that night they entertained a lot more people than just Maco & I. We loved it, we laughed and listened intently for their next song. But before that we had a family which was providing the entertainment. They had a tent and an RV in another area, of the lake, but near us, where we could hear them... because they got loud. They had a dog named Baron. And we know the wife's name was Lydia. They had a son too. The husband got really angry with poor Lydia for something, and was snapping at her. He would slam some things around, causing the son to say " Daddy what are you doing?". After about 30 minutes the husband seemed to be chilled out again, and all was well again. Then the group of singing guys took over for the second act. It got really cold that night. It even rained in the early morning. We woke up to lots of prairie dogs running around searching for food. We went down to the lake, Maco decided to do a quick refresh with the lake water. We thumbed thru the rocks and stones on the shore, than went to break down the tent. We headed off to our next destination.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

In Sisters OregonIn Sisters Oregon
In Sisters Oregon

A wood carving for sale $2500.
Extra padding/warmthExtra padding/warmth
Extra padding/warmth

This time we were prepared and brought the blanket Gram gave us a while back. It was great for extra padding & to keep us warm from the ground at night.
Tree ResinTree Resin
Tree Resin

Tree Resin from the deschuttes at the lake. I only took the pieces already fallen from the tree. You burn this on a charcoal & it's a great incense.
Tree Resin 2Tree Resin 2
Tree Resin 2

Sometimes at night we would hear little pellets of tree resin hit our tent. This one has a nice citrus scent.
Our tentOur tent
Our tent

Our tent kept us dry during the rain storm in the early morning.
Prarie dogPrarie dog
Prarie dog

Our little morning friends.
A toadA toad
A toad

This toad coexisted peacefully with the prarie dog. They shared a hole/tunnel. I watched this guy stay in stealth mode until an ant or fly came by and nothing but his tongue would move as he ate in the morning.
Prarie dogs Prarie dogs
Prarie dogs

These guys were having little territory wars.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb