Day 4 - Out from the Fog


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Florence
August 15th 2008
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we experienced the notorious Pacific Northwest Fog today. We woke up to a cold foggy morning in Lincoln City. We’re sorry there weren’t many pictures from yesterday. Lincoln city didn’t have too many picturesque moments and unfortunately the morning didn’t offer many more either. We were surrounded by fog until about noontime, which was just in time for when we came across a great overlook spot somewhere near Cape Perpetua, OR. Huge waves were crashing over these rocks that we could walk right out on. Pretty amazing.

From there, we decided to shoot for Florence, OR. The drive on the way there was perfect. The fog was gone and the sun was out. There were more great viewpoints and some scary driving conditions. Real fun though.

Florence, OR was surprisingly nice. There was a quaint waterfront town and more Wife connections that we could have ever needed. We finished up yesterday’s blog sitting inside this great seafood restaurant. The owner of the restaurant saw me taking pictures outside and he came out to offer his “help” in choosing a place to eat. The first words out of his mouth were…”Don’t Eat at Moe’s.” He claims it was a restaurant for kids but I think Moe ran off with his wife and he’s a little sore over it. Anyway the restaurant had good food. I guess they were they hand a monopoly on all the fishing boats in the town so he got first picks on the catch. This restaurant also provides a lot of the seafood to many restaurants in San Francisco. We definitely recommend Florence as a stopping point (even overnight) to anyone making a trip like this.

After Florence he made a quick stop at the Sand Dunes National Park. Another beautiful Spot. The beach we were at was practically deserted except for this random family of 5 sleeping behind one of the dunes. Strange. Anyway the water was freezing but I felt the need to go in up to my knees anyway. We also grabbed some sand for our sand collection.

It was at this point that we said by to the ocean for a couple days and we programmed the GPS to take us inland toward Crater Lake, which is where we are going tomorrow. Tonight we are staying in a “Microtel” in Sutherlin, OR. It’s in the Willamette Valley and there are few wineries around. We hit one already and going to hit a couple more now. So, by for now, hopefully we will be able to get an Internet connection at the lake but I highly doubt it. In fact I doubt that you’ll even get this entry but if your reading this you’ll already know if we did or not.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Devils ChurnDevils Churn
Devils Churn

Somewhere near Cape Perpetua, OR
Out of the FogOut of the Fog
Out of the Fog

Cape Perpetua, OR
Can youtake a picture of UsCan youtake a picture of Us
Can youtake a picture of Us

Devils Churn - Cape Perpetua, OR
Wow Big WavesWow Big Waves
Wow Big Waves

Devils Churn
Bay St. Florence, ORBay St. Florence, OR
Bay St. Florence, OR

This picture doesn't depict the town well.
Statue Thingy out side the restaurantStatue Thingy out side the restaurant
Statue Thingy out side the restaurant

International C-food Market Florence, OR
Photo Shoot at the DunesPhoto Shoot at the Dunes
Photo Shoot at the Dunes

The Dunes at the Oregan National Seashore - Florence, OR
Willamette ValleyWillamette Valley
Willamette Valley

Nice Scenery. look a tree


17th August 2008

Grad School Days
Hey, I went to grade school in Florence and Waldport... You may have past a resort call Otter Rock, and I used to live right there and have walked on your previous venture at Hay Stack Rock. Have fun enjoy...
18th August 2008

Crater Lake
You are going to love it! Make sure you make the 1 mile hike to the base and jump in!

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb