On to Oregon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Culver
March 30th 2006
Published: April 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our First Glimpse of CaliforniaOur First Glimpse of CaliforniaOur First Glimpse of California

Where are The Beach Boys and all the bikinis?
In Reno we had to make a decision. We wanted to take US 395, a scenic mountain route, to northern California, but reports of heavy snow and impassable roads forced us southwest on I-80. We crossed the Sierra Nevada at the notorious Donner Pass headed for Sacramento before turning north on I-5 through the farm country of the Sacramento Valley. We overnighted in a pleasant little campground along I-80 in the tiny mountain village of Gold Run, CA.
Tuesday we reached Round Mountain, CA, where Ray's daughter Jane lives on a cute little mountain ranch, complete with horses. After a delicious pizza dinner and nice visit with Jane and her friend Claudia, we parked the "condo" next to the barn for the night.
Just before hitting the Oregon border on Wednesday we passed right next to Mt Shasta, the secont highest point in CA at 14,162 feet. We could only see it for a short time before clouds rolled in, but it was most impressive. We reached Crescent, OR that afternoon, where we'll spend the last night of this leg of the trip.
Wednesday we got an early start with plans to make a side trip up to Crater Lake, about
Clouds Hugging Mtn in North CAClouds Hugging Mtn in North CAClouds Hugging Mtn in North CA

At first we thought this was Mt. Shasta. Nope.
a 60 mile round trip, but had to abort due to reports of heavy snow closing the road up near the lake. We'll have to come back later because this is a must-see spot. The ride up US 97 into central Oregon is through a valley paralleling the Cascade Range on our left. Clearly visible were some pretty impressive snow-covered peaks, including Bachelor, the Three Sisters, and Jefferson. Late in the afternoon we reached the Cove Palisades State Park, about 20 miles north of Redmond, OR. It's been 26 days and 3,939 miles This will be home for the month of April.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Mt. ShastaMt. Shasta
Mt. Shasta

Clouds rolled in before we got a clear shot. The peak is in the clouds to the right of the picture.
 Upper Klamath Lake, OR Upper Klamath Lake, OR
Upper Klamath Lake, OR

Along US 97. Fence is to stop boulders rolling down the hill. Lotsa luck.
We Made itWe Made it
We Made it

This will be home for April.
Welcoming CommitteeWelcoming Committee
Welcoming Committee

These guys greeted us at the entrance to the campground.


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 21; qc: 95; dbt: 0.0907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb