Astoria, Oregon and Ilwaco, Washington


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Astoria
June 10th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The Astoria/Megler BridgeThe Astoria/Megler BridgeThe Astoria/Megler Bridge

View from the Riverwalk.
We crossed the Astoria/Megler Bridge spanning the great Columbia River and into a really good Sunday Market, lots of pleasant interesting people and goodies. We loved the old derelict timber pilings. The timbered Riverwalk with tracks in the middle for a 1913 self-powered tram that runs in season.

The Astoria Column on the hill behind the city is covered in a mural depicting 14 scenes of important events in the history of the city. The 164 circular steps to the top of the 42 metre column are worth climbing. There’s a viewing platform offering great views of the Columbia River, the Astoria/Megler Bridge, the Pacific Ocean, Washington State to the north and Oregon to the south. We also visited the Columbia Lightship and Maritime Museum. We’d intended to visit Fort Clatsop but ran out of time.

On our return to Ilwaco, we visited The Cape Disappointment Lighthouse and surrounding Fort Canby State Park. Deadman’s Cove funnels loads of flotsam and jetsam that piles up in the cove.

The Columbia River Bar, where the incoming tide meets the river’s outpourings was a notorious graveyard of ships, particularly, old sailing ships.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Derelict timber pilingDerelict timber piling
Derelict timber piling

Evidently these piles supported the numerous Salmon cleaning and canning factories that Made Astoria the largest Salmon producing city in the world at one time.
David on the RiverwalkDavid on the Riverwalk
David on the Riverwalk

Obviously the tram hasn't started yet!
Astoria ColumnAstoria Column
Astoria Column

A great viepoint.


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.054s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb