Life on a Mountainside


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Ashland
August 19th 2011
Published: June 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Mount ShastaMount ShastaMount Shasta

Mount Shasta from the road on Mount Ashland. The mountain is the large white peak in the background, not the closer and lower mound
Today, I saw something unusual.

While packing my car to drive downtown, I saw two backpackers cross the inn driveway.

I took a look where they came from, and saw a sign for the Pacific Crest Trail, the same trail I encountered on Mount Rainier (see Welcome to Sunrise).

Turns out, the trail summits Mount Ashland and then passes right next to the inn.

It’s signed so subtly that most people don’t notice it.



The drive down to Ashland really shows the benefits of mountain skills.

The road down the mountain is curvy with a continuous downgrade.

As noted yesterday, it has great views of the surrounding area, including Mount Shasta in California.

In low gear, one can safely drive the entire road while barely hitting the brake!

The road reaches the interstate right at the crest of Ashland Pass.

The subsequent drop is not as steep as Emigrant Hill (see The Prettiest Interstate in the US), but it’s still nasty.

Big trucks routinely set fire to their brakes.

Locals are easy to spot here, because they deal with the curves by downshifting instead.



I drove to Ashland to do laundry,
Mount Ashland rock veinsMount Ashland rock veinsMount Ashland rock veins

Amazing veins of extruded rock on Mount Ashland along the road.
buy food, and run other errands.

I spent the rest of the day relaxing and recovering from my raft trip.

The inn and the peaceful forest around it are the perfect place for it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb