My time at Braums, El Reno


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » El Reno
July 11th 2012
Published: July 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

At last a day off to rest up and catch up with things put aside.

For the second time this year I find myself in El Reno 25 miles west of Oklahoma City working on one of the two Braums farms (www.braums.com). This time we are cutting 7300 acres of silage corn (maze). I have been here 2 1/2 weeks so far and we have about 18 circles to go.

This trip has presented us with some scary moments. In the first week two of the drivers rolled their loaded trucks in relatively easy driving locations, another driver broke his truck axel after trying to get unstuck from sand (impossible once you are there), choppers have broken down, lightening storms overhead (not cool to be in a machine and hit by a bolt of lightening), and I have been stuck in sand so many times I have lost count. Oh yes and my load was so heavy yesterday that it wouldn't come off the truck. That's the 3rd time it's happenned to me this trip. Not part of my plan to shovel 60,000lbs of compacted silage off my truck especially in this heat.

It's been unbelievably hot with most of the USA recently hit by a heat wave. Temps have ranged from low mid 90's to early 100's. Add 10 degrees when you go into the field and then add another 20 to 30 degrees if you are working close to one of the engines (truck or chopper). In El Reno (1400 feet) as compared to Dalhart (4000 feet) the level of humidity is significant.

Saw these birds feeding in the lake next to the road. Beautiful and sleek. They seem to float on their wings. Wonderful to watch.



Bye for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



12th July 2012

Miss you
Great photos and news. Sounds hot and stressful. Hope you are ok. Monty sends a ruff and tumble xo
15th July 2012

Great news Nigel. Interesting stuff and flovoured now by your second trip - feel like we are with you on the journey. WE will be in Californis again late November this year - LA only this time - will you be about? Love Mary

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb