Genealogy Work in Pike and Ross Counties, Ohio


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio
October 18th 2011
Published: November 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monday, October 17th Bob Evans Farm grounds. 55 degrees and sunny. Starting mileage is 18395


Drove back up highway 35 to Chillicothe, Ross County to continue our family history research. The county has a separate smaller building attached to the side of the courthouse that houses their archives. The woman who is in charge of the archives was extremely helpful. Not much luck in finding Tuvells and/or other family members in the 1830's-1900's. Did find stuff for later generations of Tuvells who lived for a long time in this county.

Had lunch of a cup of soup and a 1/2 sandwich at a Bakery shop across the street from the courthouse. It seemed to be "the place" for county workers to have lunch.

The genealogy society library is only open in this county from 1-4 on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. So drove there and looked at stuff without much luck until 4:00. Interesting group of volunteers who had no clue about using computers and had no idea if their building was wifi wired or not----it was, but had to get the password from another researcher. Copied some cemetery and marriage lists, but not much new information.

Drove to the Sun Valley RV Park, which was just a couple miles outside town. No one around to take our registration, but their sign gave the costs for the night with just electrical hook-up at $25. Then from that base charge, they listed charges of various rates for added items---$2 per night in extra fees to run the heater or air conditioner, $10 to dump, and $2.00 a day if you want ANY water. Pretty place on lake with lots of birds to watch, but obviously, more spendy then Wal-mart. Most of the other units parked around us were closed up and seemed to be just stored in that spot.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 Sun Valley RV Park outside Chillicothe, Ohio. Day is overcast. Starting mileage is 18469.


Found someone in office to pay fee to. Was not a pleasant experience as she asked Valerie about what we used for heat; she said “propane,” since that didn’t cost any extra.
Drove back to Chillicothe and continued our research in the Ross County Courthouse, Archives, and public library for two days and then back in Waverly, Pike County on Thursday. Spent nights in the Wal-mart parking lots where it thunder stormed and rained. Continued to rain with temps between 53-42 degrees.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb