Casselton Can Pile


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A quote from the book "Dakota Day Trips":
"Italy has its Leaning Tower of Pisa, and North Dakota as its tilted tower of tin, called the Casselton Can Pile."

Having bought the "Dakota Day Trips" book a few months ago, I've decided to hit several of the sites as I travel North Dakota. This is one of the off beat and unknown spots in North Dakota which the book promotes. I can now cross this one off my list. If you're a bird lover, you might want to take a look.

The pile is located at a convenient stop in Casselton just off Interstate 94 (you can see the top as you drive by on Interstate). The history of the can pile is actually pretty unique. It's 45 feet high and made up of discarded oil cans and was started sometime around Depression time. They apparently didn't have anywhere to dispose of the cans so started putting them there in a wire enclosure. Pretty soon, it was 45 feet high and began to start attracting folks. It's now a massive home to sparrows and has quite a lean to it. The book notes that each of the cans have been punched out creating holes just big enough for the nesting sparrows. A nice touch which has proven very popular with the wildlife.

And later in the day...a North Dakota sunset.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



29th October 2011

Casselton Can Pile
I use to live in Casselton in the early 50's and still remember those old cans.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb