Flowers and Queens


Advertisement
Published: January 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Citidel Corps of CadetsCitidel Corps of CadetsCitidel Corps of Cadets

The Citadel Corps of Cadets in the Azalea Festival parade, Wilmington NC
Wilmington, North Carolina is known as the Azalea capitol of the south.

The flowers are found everywhere, in practically every garden.

They certainly grow well in this climate, and are very tolerant of less than perfect gardening.

Just after World War II, the local garden club started the Azalea Festival, to show off these pretty gardens.

Other groups soon added their own events, until the festival became the largest in the state.

Today I experience part of it.

It turns out that this festival shows off certain aspects of Southern culture.


Azalea Festival Parade



The festival started today with a parade.

Parts of it were very different from the other parades I’ve seen, even in the South.

For starters, there were the Azalea Belles.

Starting in 1969, the garden club promoted the event by hiring young women to lead tours in hoop skirts, and they became almost as famous as the gardens themselves.

They featured prominently on parade floats.

Then there were the beauty queens.

Every Southern parade features a beauty pageant winner or two (see The City of Sunshine), but the Azalea Festival parade really goes overboard.

There were dozens upon dozens of them, everyone from
Beauty Queens by the dozensBeauty Queens by the dozensBeauty Queens by the dozens

The winners of a single beauty pagent, the Carolina Christmas Pagent, in the Azalea Festival Parade. There were plenty of others.
Miss Teen North Carolina to Miss North Carolina Spot Festival.

The final float was the Azalea Queen herself, surrounded by eight princesses.

The other notable feature was the Citadel cadets.

Most Southern parades feature members of local military units.

Despite being less than sixty miles from Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base, this parade had none at all.

Instead it had a corps of cadets from the Citadel Military College in Charleston.

They did some wonderful precision marching and drilling, but it was still an odd sight.

I find it telling that they all wear grey uniforms, which evoke the same sort of nostalgia that the Belles do.



The cadets:



Opening ceremonies with the Queen and Belles:




House Tours



After the parade, I went to one of the festival’s signature events, the house tours.

Wilmington has the largest collection of Antebellum and Victorian houses in North Carolina (and one of the ten largest in the US).

Except for three house museums, all of them are private houses and offices.

The Historic Wilmington Foundation was organized to preserve these buildings, and during the festival they organize a tour of several of them.

It’s a rare chance to see how people live daily in a
Azalea Belles at house tour openingAzalea Belles at house tour openingAzalea Belles at house tour opening

Azalea Belles mostly lead garden tours, but they also appear at other events. Here they are at the opening of the house tour.
historic house.

Many of them ARE decorated for the occasion, but the more everyday aspects do show through.





People’s treatments of their houses varied quite a bit.

The outside needs to be historically accurate in order to earn the preservation designation, but the inside doesn’t.

The bathrooms and kitchens are normally highly modern.

Two houses had modern additions to an existing structure.

The owners usually made an effort to preserve interior architectural detail, but it varied with the project.

Two people decorated their houses with artwork.

As a collector, I enjoyed this quite a bit.

Another owner is a huge collector of antebellum antiques, and their house was covered in them (it helps that they are an antique dealer!)





Three owners had taken houses that were really dilapidated (one had been used as a crack house) and restored them.

One pair did all the work themselves, partly to showcase their interior design business.

Talking to these owners, restoring a house is more a labor of love than an investment strategy, although houses in this neighborhood are now worth a bundle.
Victorian House on tourVictorian House on tourVictorian House on tour

Victorian house on the historic house tour, Wilmington NC



Street Fair



After the house tour I went to see the other side of the festival at the street fair.

Held on the waterfront, it contains the usual music stages and vendors.

The bands played classic rock.

Two vendors sold a delicacy that is mainly seen at Southern fairs: Deep fried Oreos.

Sadly, they were out by the time I wanted dinner.

The fair organizers sold beer to those with ID.

I was glad to see that many had a preference for Yuengling over the generic Budweiser products.





The end of the music concert featured something I have never seen before at an event like this.

As noted above, Wilmington is less than sixty miles from Camp Lejune.

Practically everyone in town is either active duty military, a veteran, or knows someone who is.

They had a short, poignant ceremony honoring Marines who died in combat.

After it was over, a chant of “USA! USA! broke out (something I have not seen at an event like this either).

That led into the fireworks show.


Fireworks Show



Initially, this show was much like
Historic tour house with azaleasHistoric tour house with azaleasHistoric tour house with azaleas

Victorian House on the historic house tour, hiding behind a garden of azaleas.
the one in St. Petersburg.

They fired one firework at a time, leading to a boring show.

Then, the skies started to drip.

Initially, this was a good thing as it forced the fireworks people to speed up the performance.

Multiple fireworks now went off at once, leading to a much better presentation.

Then, the lightning started to flash.

The fireworks crew quickly shot off the finale in what was now pouring rain.

It was the by now standard display of multiple flashing dots with big bursts overhead.

For me, it was the highlight of the night.

After that, everyone ran for cover, quickly.



Someone posted video:







I spent the night in a bed and breakfast called Blue Haven.

It’s located in a fully restored Victorian house in the Historic District.

The garden, of course, was filled with azaleas.

The owners are nice and they cook a very good breakfast.

Coincidently, they also did the historic house tour.

The rooms do not have connected bathrooms (they are down the hall) so the rates were surprisingly low for a festival.
Street FairStreet FairStreet Fair

Classic rock cover band during the festival Street Fair


I chose this place for two reasons.

First, I was coming to town to see historic structures, so I might as well stay in one.

Second, parking during the festival is nearly impossible to find, and staying in the historic district solved that problem.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

CircusCircus
Circus

The azalea parade had everything. Here is a circus
Azalea bellesAzalea belles
Azalea belles

A small sampling of the festival hostesses
CheerleadersCheerleaders
Cheerleaders

Another group no southern parade is complete without
Seeing eye dogsSeeing eye dogs
Seeing eye dogs

Did I mention this parade had nearly everything?
Miss Junior Shrip QueenMiss Junior Shrip Queen
Miss Junior Shrip Queen

Beauty Queens by the dozens
Millitary transport squadronMillitary transport squadron
Millitary transport squadron

One of the few active military units in the parade, in a state with many active duty soldiers
Submarine Veterans associationSubmarine Veterans association
Submarine Veterans association

Honoring veterans in an area with many.
Qeeen AzaleaQeeen Azalea
Qeeen Azalea

In a festival with much beauty royalty, here is the queen of them all.
Wilmington Histoic DistrictWilmington Histoic District
Wilmington Histoic District

In spring, practically every street looks like this!
Historic VictorianHistoric Victorian
Historic Victorian

On the historic house tour
Flowers and historic housesFlowers and historic houses
Flowers and historic houses

Beauty on every corner during this festival
Festival fireworksFestival fireworks
Festival fireworks

Typical fireworks during the festival show


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb