More Capital Region


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
December 29th 2008
Published: February 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wintery Walk on Ballston LakeWintery Walk on Ballston LakeWintery Walk on Ballston Lake

It was one of those rare days on Ballston Lake. Sometimes we wait years between such perfection. The temps had been low enough for the ice to be safe, there was fresh powder snow, and it was sunny and warm. Ideal for an "explore" on the ice. Other people were snowshoeing, X-C skiing, snowmobiling and playing hockey and skating on shoveled rinks dotting the shoreline.
We love to be on the road...but we LOVE where we really live! Sometimes we miss being home. The Captial Region is a great destination for the visitor. Here's a little sample of what we did when we were home for Christmas - sledding with grandchildren in Saratoga and Rutland Vermont - Skiing with family in Vermont - Enjoying frozen Ballston Lake with grandaughter (x-c skiing, snow shoeing, skating, snowmobiling, etc.) are litterally "out our front door." Shopping on Jay St. and Upper Union St. Schenectady (avoiding the mall). Browsing the Sunday morning indoor Farmers' Market at Proctor's Theatre. Catching a Schenectady County Community College presentation by Musicians of Mal' Wyck of George Washington's favorite comic opera "The Poor Soldier." It was fully staged at SCCC with a big orchestra in period costumes, a great libretto. And the run "sold out!" Skiing with the little kids at Killington Mountain was fun and we are so proud of their progress with turns and skiing in control. At Killington, we took advantage of picnics being allowed in the lower lodge and moved to the lounge only for an apres ski round of brews.
Here are some of our resturant hits: Salty's Pub on
Sledding PartySledding PartySledding Party

Kids, dogs, grown ups and horses --- all enjoying the beautiful fluffy snow in the center of New York's "thoroughbred country," Saratoga Springs.
Guidebord Road, Halfmoon is wonderful - chef/owned - A unique soup sampling of four specialty soups in mini-tureens hit the spot. Hard to choose from a huge menu with seafood galore! Nice pubby atmosphere!
Eight of us revisited Ferrari's a classic Italian neighborhood restaurant on Congress St., Schenectady. The dinners were outstanding - We had a generous and very tasty start with about the best calamari we have ever had (even a legendery non-calimari lover raved about the lightly battered and the palest gold rings accompanied by Ferrari's signature marinara sauce). The place itself is a page out of 1948 - with Italian art, kitchy aritifacts and celeb photos on the wall. This place is genuine! We had a very special lobster dinner at Water's Edge Lighthouse, Freeman's Bridge Rd., Glenville, NY. The lobster was from Price Chopper's Boston-based lobsterman (brought in that day), The occasion was that one of our hosts won a 20 pound lobster dinner. The owner of Water's Edge Lighthouse surprised us with several platters of hot antipasto To Die For. The lobster was steamed just right and "eater friendly" (appropriate and quality lobster utensils and lobster properly cracked and open for "eater ease").
A few more "winter eating favs:"
51 Front Wine Bar, Ballston Spa - lovely lunch - hearty lentil soup, Greek salad, fresh bread still warm from the oven. Nice way to spend a very chilly noon hour. Sunset Cafe, Front St., Ballston Spa - we enjoyed our nephew's guitar music (college student who is taking composition and a load of music courses at Oneonta State) at the Whistling Tea Kettle, walked over to the fairly new Brickyard on Milton Ave. (which was lively on this Friday night and noisier than we were in the mood for) and headed back to our old favorite. It's so nice to go where you run in to people we know and that was the case here - and the food was wonderful. We had a nice "bon voyage" gathering with a half dozen of our siblings at Longfellows, Saratoga Sprngs. Another spot where we have never had a bad meal.
New Years Eve was at Carney's, Main St. Ballston Lake - we are here for dinner at least once a week. It is so nice to have a great pub so close to home. Bob and Rosemary booked a local band for New Years Eve =
Chillin' in the Ice CastleChillin' in the Ice CastleChillin' in the Ice Castle

Beth and Chris took the boys to the Lake George (NY) Winter Carnival. They loved the Ice Castle in Shepard's Park.
great dinner, a little dancing and home safely to see the ball drop. WE WILL BE HOME FOR ST. PATRICK'S DAY WITH MUSIC AND IRISH FOOD AND SPIRITS AT CARNEY'S. See you there!
SAVING THE BEST FOR LAST - Scotti's Upper Union St., Schenectady - this is the BEST Italian food in Schenectady - great value - very generous - it's chef owned - which so often makes a difference. Charming atmosphere, Italian piazza dining in nice weather --- and squeaky clean.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.579s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb