Howe's Cave & Thanksgiving in Capital Region


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Schoharie » Howe Caverns
November 27th 2010
Published: November 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Girsl In the RaceGirsl In the RaceGirsl In the Race

Jane McMahon Ubillo, Gaela Schweizer, Kate McMahon, Beth DeVoe Coughlin after the Saratoga 5K Turkey Trot
Thanksgiving 2010

In New York's Capital Region - Saratoga, Schenectady and Schoharie Counties!


Highlights included watching Beth and some of the nieces cross the finish line in the Saratoga Springs Turkey Trot, going to Howe Caverns with the whole family, sitting in the balcony of Scotia Cinema with Beth & the grand children for a great family movie - "Secretariat," plus tons of family and a like amount of turkey and all the traditional foods including birthday cake (Wes's birthday), and for a change of pace, a nice Italian dinner at Sonny's in Round Lake (with Joe & LJ for Wes and LJ's same day birthday). Sonny's took $14 off our dinners tab because we had two mail promos! Cool!

This was our first time at Howe Caverns. What a treat! You decend by elevator 156 feet below the earth's surface. There are walkways and handrails and the temp is a constant 52 degrees, so if you are wise with your footwear and have a jacket or sweater you're comfortable and safe. Our guide was knowledgeable - there were a few times when she was a little hard to hear because of the echo effect. The day after Thanksgiving was very busy at Howe Caverns and we had several tours ahead of us. There are ample things to keep the gang occupied during the wait including an interesting gift shop - hands on activities like cutting a geode or panning for gold, a snack bar and historic memorabelia telling the Howe Cavern Story.

Scotia Cinema is a great place to catch a flick at good value. We took advantage of under 12 and senior prices. Got there early to get balcony seats. The snack bar tab came to more than 7 admissions admissions; but it's part of the experience! Popcorn, snow caps, and water!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

In the BoatIn the Boat
In the Boat

Howe Caverns has a short boat ride. The Guides propel the boats by pushing off the walls. This is such a funny picture with everyone taking in the calcite formations in their own way!
Amazing Rock CeilingAmazing Rock Ceiling
Amazing Rock Ceiling

You can see the "flow stone."


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb