Day 17 New York State


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

Well, we have been so tired so please excuse the lateness of the blogs.

We went to Palmyra, NY. We began at Hill Cumorah, we climbed up to the top not knowing that you could drive up to see it. The best part was walking down hill through the forest, very beautiful. We then went to the Sacred Grove and the Smith Farm, it was a very quiet and peaceful place to be.
We drove into down town Palmyra and when we recognized that we were there, it was noon and the church bells were ringing, we looked up and we were passing through an intersection that had a huge church on each corner, Methodist, Baptist, Lutherian, and Prodiestant (of course, I don’t know how to spell these.) (These may not be the exact names, but close). The Church buildings were built in the 1830’s and very nice, the bells were very pretty to listen to. We went to a historical printing press for the Church and learned how they set type and made books, it was a lot of fun to see! Pam bought a copy of a book that they had printed in the 1840’s. We then went out back behind the Museum and took pictures of the Erie Canal.

We also went today to Niagra Falls, NY. today. We rode the Maid of the Mist. The boat went into the U -shaped part of the falls and we got wet. There is so much water mist coming off of the falls, you get really wet. It was a neat experience to have, it was a different perspective of the Falls by taking the boat ride.
We also took Rainbow Bridge over to Canada. We saw that the Canadians took advantage of the tourist trade and really built up their side of Niagra Falls since Pam had been there about 36 years ago. We found a geocache and climbed a lot of stairs, and by the time we were done, the Canadians were lighting up Niagra Falls, in really pretty colors.

We took another route out of Canada and ended up in Buffalo, NY with an empty tank of gas. Tom Tom kept taking us to gas stations that were closed in down town Buffalo and it wasn’t even 10:30 p.m.. Talk about stress, it was freaky that a city that size was barren and closed down, made us very nervous, finally I had Tom Tom take us out of the city for a few miles and we found a station that was closeing in a few minutes. We drove quite awhile before we stopped for a Motel, completely exhausted.

-Heidi


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Colors of Niagra FallsColors of Niagra Falls
Colors of Niagra Falls

I couldn't get a unblury photo of Niagra with these colors on it, but it sure was pretty!


8th June 2010

whew
thank you!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb