No Sleep Til Brooklyn


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
May 26th 2011
Published: May 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

started out on Tuesday with the draining 4 am drive down to DIA, and on the ensuing flight i was reminded of my opinions on oversized people in the middle seats of the aircraft. no, i was not that oversized person. but, yes, i nevertheless suffered.

by the time I got to LGA and caught the shuttle into the City, it was already 4 pm, and all i'd done was sit on a plane and cover in 4 hours what took pioneers of a few generations ago years to traverse. but they had more room in those wagons, i'd wager.

on the shuttle, i met Stephanie, who turns out to be a Messianic Jew studying at Moody in Chicago. an old Jewish grandmother from Brooklyn had snagged her and insisted on helping her sharpen her Hebrew. Stephanie was a sport to indulge. it was her first time in the City, and at one point couldn't stop giggling from excitement. stellar.

then the long trek to the Gershwin on 27th, by the time i checked in and headed up to the room i was disgustingly soaked with sweat. i met my co-bunkers, a brother and sister on vacation from France whose English provided us all with entertainment. also, another French girl (whose English was quite a bit better) and a guy who had just graduated from the University of Evansville – my old school!

after changing into another set of clothes (and, likely for the first of many times during the trip, having a pang of regret at my minimalist packing philosophy), I hit up Bedford Ave in Williamsburg. Williamsburg is across the East River in Brooklyn, and is filled with hipsters in their 20s and 30s, thrift stores and skinny jeans, and a practiced slacker attitude completely at odds with the Manhattan Financial District in plain sight.

in sum: no need to recreate Portland in New York. it's been done.

took a quick visit to Stumptown on 29th, where i ran into Michael C. Hall who plays Dexter on..well, Dexter. he said hi. nice guy.

Finished off the evening walking the length of the Brooklyn Bridge after dark. a stream of bicycles and a smattering of tourists accompanied me.

Wednesday, the day started with a run through midtown up to the reservoir in Central Park. this was followed by The Soreness.

NYC heaves and surges, people like waves burst forth from enclaves and alcoves. it is relentless in its essence. it accommodates no one, but swallows you into its sea. the subway pushes stale tunnel air against me, underground currents ebb and flow.

had the chance to visit the Pompeii exhibit in the Theater district, where they have brought over the casts of bodies found from the 79 AD eruption. the picture probably speaks for itself.

then off to JFK, where i encountered some of the rudest TSA personnel on the planet.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Bunk at the GershwinBunk at the Gershwin
Bunk at the Gershwin

funky and stylish without a hint of pretension.
Posing by RadishesPosing by Radishes
Posing by Radishes

Farmer's Market on the way to NYU.
The Huddled MassesThe Huddled Masses
The Huddled Masses

5th Ave, NYC, evening rush hour.
Prophetic ScribblingsProphetic Scribblings
Prophetic Scribblings

The 6 train, NYC.
Bunk at the GershwinBunk at the Gershwin
Bunk at the Gershwin

funky and stylish without a hint of pretension.
Pompeii bodyPompeii body
Pompeii body

okay, so i freely admit i didn't take this. but they didn't allow photos inside. so there you go.


27th May 2011

Thanks for posting, I love to follow along your adventures!
27th May 2011

nice floor at the gershwin. laminate or wood? what is that place?

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb