Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 37


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 5th 2014
Published: July 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up early again. Brunch at hotel 235 which has a roof top bar. Arrive early and meet Guy and Janice. A few others queuing up outside. Some get testy and try to get in before the 1000 start. Back out again. Eventually allowed in. A bit like the Myer sales - people rush off to the lifts. Get up top and loads of tables. We ask for one with some shade. Nomprobs, our own umbrella and a great view of the Empire State Building behind us (BTW we are on the 21st floor of this hotel and there is greenery everywhere up here).

Our server introduces himself. From Russia with love.....

Nice guy. Describes how it works. American buffet with a complimentary champagne or champagne and OJ. We pick the latter, except Janice who does the responsible thing and has straight OJ. I go and start with fruit. Just as I get back, a gust of wind hits the roof, and umbrellas go everywhere, including ours nearly over the edge, one just up from us stripped of the cover and nearly over the edge. Panic stations. All saved, we think until the couple just up from us say that the one near them flew the coop. Over the edge. Hope no one was under that orange spear....... Didn't hear anymore so hopefully no one at ground level hurt.

Food was plentiful and not bad - except for the crispy streaky US bacon. Never mind. Finish up, pics by Igor our Russian server and out of there.

Decided to try the Ellis Island ferry so onto the subway (thank goodness for the Hop On app courtesy of an ex co-worker which tells you which subway line to catch and where/how to get there....

No dramas, off at South Ferry in battery park. Wander down to the water and see a queue. No ordinary queue this one. Bloody huge. Stand and watch, castigate and finally decide that this is not for us.. Walk a bit further, and find another queue which is bloody obscenely long just trying yo buy the ferry tickets and then another bloody queue yo get to the first queue we saw which had been through the security process. Outrageous....... Good decision not to go.

Take 2. Walk the Brooklyn bridge. Back we go, along the rivers edge. Under the road and finally to the entry to the bridge walkway. Lots and lots of people on the walkway which is divided - one half for walkers, the other for bikes - and boy do they get shitty with pedestrians in their lane. Saw one dude shoulder people as he went past, others just yell lots.

Decide to just walk to the 1st pylon. Good decision, bloody hot and way too many people. They have sorbets at this point so a refreshing stop and nutrient intake station. Back down and get to the end and a lark and subway station. While we are there, a fire truck wails up to the station, men with red braces run out of the truck and down the subway stairs. We watch, then another truck arrives.

We decide we need to go back to get Guy and Janice's bags from their hotel. Off we go, more fire trucks. Then more again. Count us about 5. And the station is the one we need to use to get back to Grand Central Station so the others can catch their commuter train. Hmmmm.....

Get bags, check subway app, no reports of issues. Get alternate routes, but on our way back, fire engines are going home so decide to give it a go. Get to subway. No issues and train due in 2 minutes, and express to boot. Woohoo....

Into grand central station what a sight. Impressive building and lots of people. Get something to eat then bade farewell to Guy and Janice. Been a great 2 days, thanks.

We head back to the hotel via times square. Slight deviation, stop at the bar in Bryant park for a cold corona. Bloody nice. Through times square which us chaotic. Out if Times Square and to our apartment. Decide that we don't want a big tea. Get some more beers and sit and sup. Go out and get pizza and red wine for an intimate in-house dinner.

Done and dusted. Off to bed now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb