Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 36


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 4th 2014
Published: July 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Happy Independence Day.

We wake up early as we are meeting up with Guy and Janice (our Ringwood neighbours who are over here in Connecticut working). We have arrange to meet them down at their hotel near battery park (Around the 9/11 area). Head of to the subway, get a message from Janice letting us know which hotel they are staying at. Clearer subway directions now so off to the subway. Get off and walk to the Conrad Hilton and go up the escalator to the lobby. They have just checked in so our timing is perfect. Up we go with them to their room.

Nice room, with a huge shower, photo op so the 4 of us cram into this big shower and do a selfie. Post to Facebook and get immediate response from guy and Janice's son. Haha - just what we wanted.....

Down to the lobby for a coffee and catch up. Sit around for about 1.5 hours then decide to head off to the 9/11 monument. Find the pools which are an amazing sight. Huge man made waterfalls at each of the 2 footprints of the knocked down buildings. Check out the access to the new museum (opened only a few weeks ago). Get tickets for the 1300 entry so that is a good result. Wander off to the waterfront and look at the boats of the rich and famous (including America II). They are getting one big "yacht"ready for 4th of July celebrations - bunting, flags, and lots of shiny stuff.

Wander back, get a quick bite coz we realise that we are getting very close to our designated time for the museum. Eat and run - literally. Get into the short queue just as the rain starts - great timing. We can't eat in the museum so have to stand and eat before we can do the security stuff. Finally I and there is a video that they recommend just about to start. In and sat down - explained that the video was made expressly for the museum. Interviews from George W Bush, lots of other pollies, Rudy Giuliani (mayor of NYC), and lots of others alike fire chiefs, etc. Very moving and honest comments. Lots of still photos - finished and seemed like there were a few tears amongst some of the crowd..

Down into the main museum. You start down the ramp and are greeted with some of the columns that held the building up. There is a video explaining how the building was made and how the steel columns were an integral part of the structure. Deeper into the vowels of the museum and lots more things to read about and take in. Get to a staircase that was taken from the buildings with and explanation of how the stairwell was used for evacuees from the buildings. Lost Chris for a while - she was talking to one of the volunteers at the foot of those stairs.

As you move on you are actually at the bedrock level where the foundations of the buildings are exposed. Concrete and steel can be seen in its raw state. Then you go into a room that has all the names of the victims of both the 1993 bombing and the twin tower collapse. As we move through here, one of the volunteers tells us we must go to the next room where there is a minute by minute description of the events of the day along with many artefacts from the buildings and outside areas.

Wow, was this a hard to take in area - very full on and moving. As we are moving through there is a kid about 7 who has avery loud voice asking his dad at each exhibition whether they died, "did they die dad" and if he didn't get an answer quickly, he got louder asking the same question. Eventually the staff suggested that he be taken out as he was getting upset and upsetting everyone else around him.

Each plane had a minute by minute details of what had gone on, then details of the revues, evacuations, etc. and each area had remnants of metal, plane bits, broken fire trucks. Lots of reminders of the ferocity of the building collapse.

We were moving along when we heard that we were about 20% of the way through - boy, that much more. Finally for through it all, extremely taxing on the sensations and feelings. Out to the very lowest level where they have the slurry walls built to keep the river out of the foundations and a steel column which a lot of the rescuers and demolition people had signed.

One of the volunteers came up and asked if we had any questions - not really, but started talking to him. He was really good and explained that the wals we saw suspended above the foundations were actually the walls of the memorial pools above us. He also described how and exactly where the foundations were in relation to the building. Made a lot more sense now. He also suggested we look at the brick in the corner - why would a house brick be so important. Turns out the house brick was from Osama bin Laden's house when they went in and cptured/killed him..... Hmmmmmm.....

Finally out and the rain has gone. We are exhausted after walking, reading and taking in all the information. Oh, forgot to mention - there was a gift shop. Actually bought a t shirt each and a few other bits. Back to the hotel and add the new t shirts as it was getting a bit chilly and we were about to go to the Macy's fireworks. Wander off in the direction of the fireworks, find Wall Street and walk past the NY Stock Exchange and other big name buildings. Lots of police everywhere and quite a few people coming into the area for the fireworks.

Find an Irish pub and decide this will do for tea. Sat down, one look at the menu and I am right - bangers and mash. Beers, tea and done - very nice too. Wander down towards the river and cross the main road - a decision that paid off in spades later. There are people lining up on an elevated road near the river. Head that way but there are lots of people trying to do the Sam so we go back to one of the streets that looks down to the river - notice a Macy's barge floating up and down the river - maybe this will have fireworks on it...

People aren't too crowded here so decide this will do. Lots on the other side of the road who can't cross because the police have it blocked off and are driving up and down every so often. Eventually the fireworks start. They seem to be behind us, then down the end of the area we are waiting at. Finally they start in front of us. Bingo, the barge was the fireworks barge and yes, it did float up and down the river past our street. Great fireworks, great place to view them and not too many people around us.....

After about 30 or 40 minutes the finale hits us - literally, the percussion from some of these fireworks is huge. Decide to move quickly as we are on the subway back home.. Guy and Janice are walking back to their hotel so we part ways. Find the subway, just follow the crowds. Get to the station and the police have locked it down to keep control. We are at the back of the crowd when they say they are open the barriers for the no 1 train - ours - and better still, they open the barriers at our end. Bingo again. Down we go, there is a train waiting and we walk up quite a few carriages and get a seat. Off we go.

Get a text from Janice saying they are safely home, I send one back saying we are nearly home so all good. Walk back home and very tired but had a good day. Up to the room, the Emoire State Building is putting on a great light show - red white and blue in many different shapes, swirls, etc. Chris gets some good pics and off to beds, leaving the blinds up watching the lights when crack, more fireworks. Look out the window and there is a mini fireworks happening about 2 blocks from here. Looks like a private show as they go for about 30 seconds, then stop. Start again in 5 minutes for 30 seconds, etc. This goes on for about 3 or 4 bursts then stops. Now to sleep after a very tiring day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.362s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb