A (Bloody Good) Week in the Life of D. B. Cannan! (Dave)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
April 29th 2009
Published: April 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Here's a blog that has absolutely nothing to do with celebrities!!!!!!!!!

It all started innocently on Friday night, the weather was starting to warm up, a quiet evening in front of the box watching the NBA playoffs. The plan was to head to the "Australian" pub on 38th Street and take in the biggest AFL game outside of the Grand Final. Essendon vs Collingwood on ANZAC Day. A pretty cool pub, tons of screens to watch the big game, choc-a-block with Essendon supporters and a girl named Wendy. Wendy seemed nice despite the black and white scarf around her neck that swore her allegiance to the 'other' mob. It was soon apparent that Wendy was one of 'those' supporters. You know the type, very loud, very one-eyed and very dumb. The band of my new found friends stuck together and rode out the unpleasantries and were ecstatic at the result. A brilliant comeback that will go down for the ages!

Once the game had come to its end, Matt, the publican merely reminded us that it was time. I introduced myself properly and asked if he had any bar positions going.
"As a matter of fact, how good are you at selling pies?"
I had my first shift in New York selling pies at a New York Aussie Rules function on the water in the beautiful sunshine. Not bad hey?

In between the footy and pie-selling I honoured the timeless tradition of attending the ANZAC Day dawn service with another 200 or so Aussies and Kiwis at Memorial Battery Park on the southern tip of Manhattan looking out at Lady Liberty. It was very touching and great to finally hear some Kiwi thoughts on their side of the story.

Sunday put me in the company of Scooter Ferraro, younger brother of my excellent friend Paul but also a charming young gentleman in this own right. Fact: There are approximately 15,000 bars in Manhattan alone. So what do we do? We (being Keri + Scott and Penny + I) start by taking Scooter to a little German bar in the Lower East side to enjoy oversized beer in the beautiful NY sun. It also happened to be the bar that Scooter and his other NY friends came to the very night before! What are the odds?! Scooter and I kicked on until after the sun went down and enjoyed the sights and sounds of the Village with a couple of beers and many more tall stories.

Tuesday came and brought with it two great career opportunities. One was a phonecall from Matt (Australian Publican) saying come in for some training later on that day with a view to start a real shift before week's end.
Second was an email from a HR department of a Medical College asking if I was available for a interview on Friday. Bring it ON!

http://www.theaustraliannyc.com




Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Scooter and Dave Sipping Sangria in St. Marks PlaceScooter and Dave Sipping Sangria in St. Marks Place
Scooter and Dave Sipping Sangria in St. Marks Place

Ryan Gosling ambled past 5 minutes later.
Cheese in a CAN!Cheese in a CAN!
Cheese in a CAN!

What will they think of next?


29th April 2009

I hope you turned the Medical College down Dave - heard they don't have big screens in their labs

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0894s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb