The Big Apple


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Big Apple The Big Apple The Big Apple

Looking back at the city from the Staten Island ferry
Our flight from San Diego was an over night one. Only about 6 hrs flying time, but as East Coast is three hours ahead, and also because we had change at Philadelphia (onto what is definitely the smallest commercial plane Ive ever been on), we didn't arrive in New York until gone 9 the next morning.

Tired we found our hostel, which was located near central park. Here the crappy unfriendly staff took ages pissing about deciding whether our room was ready or not. After deciding that it wasn't we each shelled out 5 dollars for a locker to keep our stuff in for the mean time. Immediately after that they changed there minds, and said it was available!!! Oh but then it wasn't again, then finally after a bit of an argument it was. Seriously rubbish service!! And that statement applies to just about all the Hostel Internationals Ive stayed at!

Anyway enough of going on about that, back to the subject in hand, New York City. Being a city that people generally hear so much about, and get to see a lot of of through the various movies, it leaves little for the imagination. Many other
Time SquareTime SquareTime Square

A place that never sleeps
places Ive visited, have obviously been completely different to the picture I had in my head. New York however was generally how I thought it would be, big, busy, with many memorable sights, and with a great city vibe.

We caught the tube down to 42nd street and spent the first afternoon walking around Times Square, followed by Central Park. Tired we got back to the Hostel around 9, chilled out for a bit, then got an early one ready for a full days sightseeing the next morning.

It was a jam packed day. Out by 9ish, we first rode the subway down to Ground Zero. After that we walked down to the docks and boarded the Staten Island ferry, which takes you to, none other than Staten Island would you believe.
After arriving back from Staten around 2pm we walked up through lower Manhattan, through the financial district including the famous Wall Street. By late afternoon we had arrived at The Empire Estate Building. This was to be our last sky scrapper visit of the trip. The views were undoubtedly great, however the queues were not. It took forever to get to the top, and cleared through
A common sight in Central Park A common sight in Central Park A common sight in Central Park

A Horse and Carriage makes it's way through the Park on an afternoon
security. and Even when you get up there, it was hard to get to just the edge, what with all the crowds of people up there.
From the Empire Estate, we caught the tube down to China Town for some dinner. After that we walked the streets of Little Italy before making our way up to Times Square to see it at night. It was a long day and all in all we were out from 9am till gone 11pm walking about. Tired legs is all I've got to say!!

We had coincidental arrived in New York just before the 4th of July, so would be here to see the Fireworks display. That day we randomly bumped into Chris, that we travelled with in New Zealand, walking down the street. Turned out he was staying at a place just round the corner, so we all agreed to go down to the fire works together later that evening.
Crowds of people is putting it lightly, there were thousands there, and I reckon, just about as many police officers as well. Honestly Ive never seen so many. You could only walk roughly 30 yards before having to pass through yet another check point for bags to be searched. Typically it pissed down with rain right before the fireworks started, the first I have seen since arriving in the US. Luckily it held of just while the fire works were on. Now in recent years Ive not been particularly bothered about seeing firework displays, but even I have to admit that this one was pretty impressive. Admittedly it would of been better had we had the city scape behind us, but still the fireworks them selves were great, with a serious amount of fire power going off for a constant half and hour!

Next day was Rob's last in New York and for travelling as well. He was scheduled on a flight back to London later that evening. I, with still more to see will be staying on for a little longer to visit the cities of Washington and Boston.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

No clues needed to tell which country we're in!!No clues needed to tell which country we're in!!
No clues needed to tell which country we're in!!

Outside the The New York Stock Exchange on Wall Street
Bethesda Fountain, Central Park Bethesda Fountain, Central Park
Bethesda Fountain, Central Park

This was on a Monday. Come the weekend, this place is packed out!!
Time Square at night Time Square at night
Time Square at night

Came out a bit dark this shot, even though it's anything but that here at night!!


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb