Back In NY for a while...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New Paltz
November 12th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As some of you might know, after leaving Christies in San Diego we made a rather abbreviated tour of the southwestern US. It was a lot harder leaving San Diego than we had anticipated and getting back on the road was slow going. From the comfort of a couch, with hot food and running water, we made grandiose plans on how the remainder of the trip would unfold. Initially, we had planned to go as far as possible til the money ran out or it stopped being fun. It didnt really stop being fun per se, it just became a routine. The extraordinary became ordinary. All told, thats a nice problem to have from time to time, and I know that we will enjoy a similar affliction many times over again in the future.

We headed out through Idyllwild which was very similar to Tahoe but the climbing we had planned just didnt materialize. We decided to simply keep driving til we found something that made us want to get out and go for it.

One of the "hotspots" for winter climbing is Joshua Tree National Park just outside 29 Palms in Southern California. I felt highly unimpressed with the area and the climbing. I supposed that my own "blahdom" may have tainted my perception, but J-Tree was sort of bland. The rock formations were mostly pretty small in comparison to some of the other places we had been and I guess after months of arid climate, the desert motif left somewhat to be desired in our minds.

We headed east, into Arizona. The southern portion was fairly bleak so we headed north to the Grand Canyon.

Of all the national parks we went through, the Grand Canyon was by far the best. Rather than visit the more accessible south rim, we drove the extra hundred miles to the north rim and found, yet again, that a little extra work can yield much greater solitude. We arrived at the canyon just after sunrise on a saturday morning and did not have to share the view with more than two or three other couples. We spent the entire day reveling in the majesty of having one of the seven natural wonders of the world to ourselves. We took the time to dawdle and lounge around, viewing the various sights, dangling our legs over the gaping abyss without feeling the slightest need to go anywhere or do anything. Did I mention that the weather was absolutely perfect?

Every year the Grand Canyon claims a life or two of some ill prepared hiker or sightseer who fails to hydrate adequately. The park brochure conjures up images of a sweltering, blistering convection oven rather than the cool, crisp autumn weather we enjoyed. I would not for a moment understate the challenges of the arid back country but rather I would invite those not hardened for travels in harsh environs to try visiting when the weather is perfect rather than the summer, when temperatures are extreme and the views are swamped with tourists. Other tourists. Whatever...

After watching the sun set and gazing at the stars we headed for Utah and more canyons. Zion National Park was next on the agenda. Sunday morning in Zion was a mob scene. The crowding made the views no less impressive but they did somewhat dampen our desire to do a great deal of exploring in the backcountry. Additionally there was the unforeseen red tape of having to take a shuttle bus anywhere beyond the main road which bisects the park and hardly does justice to the grandeur of the scenery.

Bryce Canyon NP was the next stop. Only a two hour drive from Zion, the rock here was outrageous and spectacular. I realize that using superlatives to describe the scenery on a trip which covered so much of the country can get redundant, but as photos will confirm, Bryce is one of the most exotic rock formations I have ever seen. I would invite our readers to peruse the photos. I would be interested to hear of any place that can top Bryce-- so that I can put that place high on the list of places I must see.

Capitol Reef National Park was initially a place I wanted to explore at greater length but seeing how we got there later in the evening, there was little opportunity for that. At this point we were beginning to feel the pull of home and so we headed on towards Arches National Park.

As national parks go, Arches is fairly small. We arrived there early on a monday and there were few other visitors to contend with. As the day wore on, more people arrived and the morning chill dissolved into pleasant warmth. We took our time and did some climbing- our first run on sandstone, and it was a great experience. Some hiking around and viewing the various arches left us feeling sorry we were rolling through the area with such a low energy level, so late in the trip. We most certainly will return during a future autumn to capitalize on the striking blend of red sandstone, deep blue skies offset by the blazing yellow aspen trees growing on the banks of the Colorado river.

We took a spin around the town of Moab to take in the local color and to scope out the destinations for our next trip(s). Suffice to say that the more we saw the more we realized there was yet to see. Frustration and delight in one exciting package. This prompted us to succumb to the desires we both felt to head home and lay plans for the next time out.

The long road home was uneventful and we made good time.

A few thoughts to sum up the trip. Wherever you go, there you are. Balance is the battle in every aspect of life- from the exotic to the mundane. Change is the only constant, and while it is horrifying at times, and discomforting, it is the catalyst that allows any experience to be enjoyed rather than endured. The beaten path is overrated but is a necessary evil.

This trip showed me personally how much can be done if you simply take the first step in any given direction. This trip was the first step toward something bigger and better. I look forward to finding out what it will be.

Many thanks to those of you who read and supported us. A big thank you to those who offered us a room and food along the way too. As I mentioned at length in the first several posts, without the support of our loved ones we may never have gotten as far as we did.

To see our online photo album (pictures from the entire trip, including those new ones not included here) http://picasaweb.google.com/stephen.richert

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb