Aurevoir Canada


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Buffalo
May 17th 2011
Published: May 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

And we’re off!!

As soon as the bus pulled out of Ottawa me and mom were like: VACATIONNNNNNNN! Yep, we’re both totally psyched for this trip. (She might add her two cents every so often on here. Or not. She’s undecided… but she says hello everyone nonetheless)

Anyway, bus ride was uneventful; we got to Toronto and made our connection to Buffalo no problemo. I taught Mom the tricks-of-the-trade for how to keep both seats to yourself on the bus – even when it’s near capacity. Yep, bonding over anti-social behavior? I win.
Now as for the border crossing at Fort Erie/Buffalo…? Yeahhhh, that was a pain. It took us 2 hours to get over the border – absolutely ridiculous.

Observations for the night:
• Do not tell the border guard you’re coming to work on some project… but you aren’t getting paid, so you have no real income, and you’re European without proof of returning to your country of origin. (This French lady spent a solid 20min being questioned)
• Don’t laugh obnoxiously as you start going through with your best friends… you will get flagged. Don’t then continue to laugh about having your purse checked. You will stay there for 20min and they will completely empty your purse with pleasure. (Snooki twins spent over 15min being searched)
• Know where you’re staying in the States, or feel the wrath. (Apparently… this is a common problem.)
• Don’t change your story… like, seriously?! If you’re a student – say it. Don’t then go into a big long story about how you actually aren’t anymore bc you got kicked out for random thing that shouldn’t have happened… yada yada yada. That guy was stuck there over 30min.
• Don’t tell the guard you’re going to LA to see strippers. Bad call.

Meanwhile, having watched all the above-mentioned drama play out, I had all our papers ready… but all they asked was “where y’all goin’?” which became a lovely chat about the Alaskan cruise… our guard, plus another random one, just ended up going on about how lovely that would be and how they’d love to do one… I awkwardly stood there like grrrrrreat… can I go now..? Haha.

So, 2 hours later we headed out – good thing we had a 3 hour window before our flight out of Buffalo, because we ended up leaving 1.5 hours behind schedule.

We’re just getting to the airport now. We tried sleeping on the bus… but not much luck. Hopefully the flight will be different.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb