Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Santa Fe
January 27th 2008
Published: January 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hittin' the Trails



Our first excursion in New Mexico... This awesome landscape is nestled 40 minutes outside of Santa Fe.

Kasha-Katuwe means white cliffs in the language of the nearby Cochiti Pueblo.

The tent rocks have been formed by water and wind over the ages.

You can check out the layers of rock on the way up, and then get a panoramic view of the surrounding tundra from the top.

Even though its winter and only about 40*, its so toasty in the sun, when you're 7000 feet closer!

Along the trail you can seek out little translucent brown/black stones called Apache Tears.

They're beautiful, but have a sad story.

They are supposed to be the tears of Apache widows, mourning the losses in a massacre of their warrior husbands.

As their tears hit the ground, they turned into these stones.

Marcie (Mike's cousin) found one today.

After the hike we headed to a local brewery and indulged. The trail is only about 2 miles, but definitely worthy of a beer.

Gratitudes Part One



Mike's cousin Marcie and her partner Michelle have been SO kind to us.
Marcie & MichelleMarcie & MichelleMarcie & Michelle

Our fearless guides.

They've made our transition smooth (like peanut buttah).

They housed us for a week, drove our asses all over town, helped us move a bed, table, bookshelf... and our 63lb. suitcase full of tank tops and flip flops!

Without them we would probably be mildly insane by now.

If we ever get an opportunity to help someone as they have helped us we shall be quite thankful to do so.

It can really make a huge difference in peoples lives when you do whatever you can for them, when they are in a tough situation.

Gratitudes Part Dos



Lots of hugs and muchos muchos Gracias to my Mom - for taking the time to gather our winter duds, as we navigated her through our closets back home via telephone.

Mom's are the best - she even sent us our beloved wobbly tea kettle!

Our apartment is pretty quiet, but we're glad to be here.

Except for when Mike runs around in his underwear with a bucket on his head braying like a dying yak and listening to the latest David Hasselhoff record.

PS-Mike made me write this.

Peace and love! We miss you all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Ageless Ponderosa PineAgeless Ponderosa Pine
Ageless Ponderosa Pine

Over the years, this old guys roots have been exposed. In the summer, these pines smell like vanilla. The next time you eat something with Vanillin in it, think of this old pine tree.
Tent Rocks unite!Tent Rocks unite!
Tent Rocks unite!

Mike giggled at the "sensual" shape of these.
tee hee heetee hee hee
tee hee hee

They're just Rocks, Mike!


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb