Close Encounters


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Roswell
October 19th 2010
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We woke up about 7.30am, showered, packed our stuff and headed down to the lobby for free breakfast. Scott’s egg’s were yuk, but my waffles and toast were nice. We drove down into town to check out the UFO museum as they opened at 9am. They had a whole timeline of the Roswell incident, which was quite fascinating. The whole incident boils down to whether you believe that a UFO crashed in Roswell and the government covered it up or if it was really a weather balloon that crashed. I believe it was a UFO, especially after today - just so many witness accounts and bizarre behaviour by the government. The museum was in quite an old building, but still really good. They had lots of photos of UFO sightings and photos of IFOs - identified flying objects, also crop circles and all kinds of stuff. We spent about an hour there before walking back down Main Street for some souvenir shopping. All of the shops are decked out with alien paraphernalia in the windows and just really kitsch stuff. We even saw street lamps that were in the shape of alien heads, coke machines that had aliens on the front and the McDonalds was in the shape of a flying saucer! Only thing that i wanted to do but couldn’t as it was shut, was go to Alien Zone as they had a lot of alien scenes set up that you could pose with......but alas.
Headed out of town after getting some gas and stopping by the supermarket for some supplies. Our aim was to head for San Antonio and see how we went. It was about 850km or an estimated 10 hours to get there.
The road out of Roswell and into Texas was so long, straight and boring. Just nothing as far as the eye could see. The best thing once we got onto the I-10 was that the speed limit jumped to 80mph or about 130kph, which was great . The scenery got a bit better the further we went along but still a long drive.
Got into to San Antonia at around 7.30ish and drove around a little once we got off the interstate to find a hotel. Found Marriot Courtyard which was next to some food places so checked in. Seems like a nice place and even has a pool (our room can access it) - pity won’t have chance to use it!! Walked across to the food outlets, and finally settled on Thai food. The food was really nice and was good to have some veggies and something a little different than what we have been. The cool thing was that they served the rice in the shape of a ghost for Halloween and even had little black seeds for eyes!
Off to bed soon, so we can get up and drive to Col and Shona’s tomorrow. Hope to get there around 1pm.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb