Green Chile - Albuquerque - February 2010 through November 2013


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Albuquerque
September 15th 2012
Published: February 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

New MexicoNew MexicoNew Mexico

Country-side during the summer storms
There is not going to be much to share in this blog. We try and go to New Mexico (Albuquerque more specifically) once a year to visit family and friends. Besides visiting family and friends there is not much time for anything else. Visits consist of home cooked meals, visiting grandma in Sile (see previous blog), and visiting friends over a cup of coffee, lunch, or dinner. So all I have is a couple places to eat at.

At the very top of the list is Frontier. This is a college dive with awesome New Mexico food. Our personal favorites are the sweet roll (a very soft cinnamon roll soaked in butter - yes it is that awesome), the breakfast burrito and a fresh squeezed cup of orange juice. You will be lucky if the entire meal costs $10. Good luck finding a table during the busy times when all you see is hungry, studying college kids. Next up is an affiliate of Frontier (same owners) - Golden Pride. You can sit down here, but it is meant to be more of a drive-through. Any burrito here is excellent, but the breakfast burrito is highly recommended or any burrito with green chile on it. I usually get at least a couple every time we go.

Krispy Kreme donuts (yes this is a chain) is always a favorite since we really don't get Krispy Creme on the east coast. If you've been watching the show "Breaking Bad" you will know all about Rebel Donut. A fun little local donut stop selling some crazy donuts, but the bacon-maple donut definitely tops the list. Flying Star is also a must visit. A local shop that is more a pie and coffee shop that also serve food. At the end of the day it is a little pricey, but the pie is always good and overall it is just a really cool spot to hang out at. This is the one spot we really miss while here on the east coast.

Jinja is a favorite of ours for Asian food. The Singapore noodles are really good as is the Thai red curry beef. Albuquerque really has become a hot-bed for the micro-brew. A recent addition to the Albuquerque restaurant scene is Nexus Brewery. Nexus is one of the new micro-brews where we had a good equinox brown and white ale along with
AlbuquerqueAlbuquerqueAlbuquerque

... more moon
a good chopped green chile burger. You really never can go wrong with anything green chile on it. We also had the fish and chips with catfish and cornmeal. Nexus has more of a southern soul food mix to it so it definitely is not your typical New Mexican fare. I heard the gumbo is pretty good.

Last but not least is the TAMALE. A New Mexico specialty made from a corn based starch, wrapped in a corn leave wrapper, and steamed. Usually it will be filled in the middle with some sort of filling. Yes it is delicious, but very hard to find in restaurants.

Well that is it. Very short and sweet. Nothing to cross-off the list so still only 212 down and 5,569 to go.

Til next time from green-chile heaven


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

AlbuquerqueAlbuquerque
Albuquerque

... more moon
AlbuquerqueAlbuquerque
Albuquerque

... and finally it is fully out
SileSile
Sile

Horses playing around
Sile Sile
Sile

Horses in the road
SileSile
Sile

Drying red chilis
SileSile
Sile

Slaughtering the pig - matanza
SileSile
Sile

ha ha
SileSile
Sile

Home made cinnamon rolls
SileSile
Sile

Beans and red chili


3rd February 2014

Albuquerque
Sounds like a food fest. How grand. Love the moon shots.

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 35; qc: 108; dbt: 0.1284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb