In the White Mountains of New Hampshire.


Advertisement
Published: October 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Once again we have struck lucky with our choice of places to stay...this week we are based in North Conway in a timeshare unit at Eastren Slope Inn. It is an old American Historic Building - very quaint and we have a nice two floor condo in the main hotel building. It's a great location as it is right on Main Street and there are lots of great cafes, restaurants, shops to see on our doorstop.

But I am getting ahead of myself - we had a good drive here from the Cape - 280 miles - we started off along the KIngs Highway along the Cape ( a slower road but very picturesque with quaint villages and houses dotted all along this )and we decided not to drive back through Boston but took a wide berth of the city to the west towards Concord and then North into New Hampshire. We had planned a stop at Cantabury where there is a Shaker Village and got there in time for a very informative tour ( 90 mins) relating the history and lifestyle of the Shakers who had lived there for 200 years. A classic car rally was also going on there so lots to see and so much to learn about. From there we were driving on beautiful country lanes with massive stone walls and then through NH Lakes region and finally to North Conway which is in the NH White Mountains region.

Once settled in and inpacked we were out on Main St ...With many lovely places to choose to eat we finally chose an Italian and enjoyed some great homemade pasta and the best Peach Bellini I have ever had !!! We are appreciating this location as it is so easy to walk and not having to take the car out every time. Everywhere is decorated for Harvest or Halloween - so you can choose from pumkins and scarecrows or ghosts and goblins - you can see it all. Great fun to see.

Sunday morning saw us sauntering along Main Street in the sunshine to a Craft Fair - some lovely things to buy there and Suz got me a beautiful ceramic dish - there was everything from Maple syrup to knitted hats and pickles to Xmas decorations to buy.

Time for a drive to view the country roads thereabouts- the trees are just past
Cantabury Shaker Village Cantabury Shaker Village Cantabury Shaker Village

Yes I am looking for a new image - will this do?
their peak but having said that they are still very beautiful - particularly the beeches with their coppery leaves. There are many covered bridges and waterfalls around here so we pick a few out on a map and off we go.

So for a first week we have covered quite a lot of ground and cannot quite believe it... but still another week and lots more to explore.

Love to all xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cantabury Shaker Village Cantabury Shaker Village
Cantabury Shaker Village

Or maybe this is more "me" !
With a Peach Bellini With a Peach Bellini
With a Peach Bellini

one happy lady !!


22nd October 2013

Harvest and Halloween
I'm thrilled that you continue to have fun. Glad your taste buds are dancing. Keep the blogs coming.
22nd October 2013
Sunday in North Conway (36)

New England
Beautiful! Lovely.
22nd October 2013

shaker
what a wonderful trip.....good to swap bellinis for earl grey tea ha ha!! your timeshare sounds perfect...you must be glad to leave the wheels at rest! am jealous of your blue skies...we tured back from a walk on monday morning due to low mist, torrential rain and lakes in the road!!! hugs to you both. lesley
22nd October 2013

shaker
what a wonderful trip.....good to swap bellinis for earl grey tea ha ha!! your timeshare sounds perfect...you must be glad to leave the wheels at rest! am jealous of your blue skies...we tured back from a walk on monday morning due to low mist, torrential rain and lakes in the road!!! hugs to you both. lesley
23rd October 2013

Beautiful countryside
Beautiful countryside. Looks like you got there just at the right time of year.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb