Falling Man Petroglyph Site


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada
September 11th 2010
Published: January 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gold Butte Recreation Area

generalized map

Rock art “is abstract, and made by prehistoric hunter-gatherers some 1200 years ago. The images are symbolic, and even though archaeologists can’t interpret most of them, they still had meaning for the migratory people who once lived here.” The images may have functioned as territorial markers, as ways of telling stories and documenting events such as the falling man.
Once this area was covered with archeological features such as agave roasting pits and a prehistoric campsites although now only the petroglyph’s remain.

Trail Guide
Getting to the Trailhead

The Falling Man Rock Art Site is located way out in the Gold Butte Region at the northeast end of Lake Mead, about 2.5 hours northeast of Las Vegas in a wild, remote, and scenic area.

From Whitney Pocket , in the Gold Butte Recreation Area turn around and drive back north for 1.4 miles to a dirt road to the west , which is just past a large sandstone crag with campsites around the base. Turn left and drive west on Black Butte Road.

A number of side roads branch off from Black Butte Road, but most are obviously not the main road. However, at 1.2 miles from the pavement , take the left fork in the road. At 1.9 miles from the pavement, pole fencing on the south side of the road delineates a parking area . Park here; this is the trailhead.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



15th January 2011

Great etchings
Amazing photos.

Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb