Valley of Fire State Park


Advertisement
Published: January 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Valley of Fire State Park


Dedicated in 1935, Valley of Fire is Nevada's oldest state park. It is located only 50 miles northeast of Las Vegas. The rough floor and jagged walls of the park contain brilliant formations of eroded sandstone and sand dunes more than 150 million years old. These features, which are the centerpiece of the park's attractions, often appear to be on fire when reflecting the sun's rays.

Valley of Fire State Park is located in the Mojave Desert of southern Nevada about 50 miles northeast of Las Vegas. It abuts Lake Mead National Recreation Area at the Virgin River confluence. It lies in a basin 4 miles wide by 6 miles long, 15 miles southwest of Overton, Nevada. Its elevation varies between 2,000 and 2,600 feet.
Climate
Typical low desert conditions exist. Winters are mild with temperatures ranging from freezing to 75 degrees F. Daily summer highs usually exceed 100 degrees, and may reach 120 degrees. Summer temperatures usually do not vary widely from day to night. Average annual rainfall is four inches, coming in the form of light winter showers and summer thunderstorms. Spring and fall are the preferred seasons for visiting the Valley of Fire.
Getting There
Traveling northeast on Interstate 15 from Las Vegas, take Nevada Route 169 at Crystal south to the park. Traveling southwest on I-15 turn south on Route 169 (Exit 93) near Glendale, and travel southeast 15 miles to the park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



15th January 2011

Write a book
I think you could weave these into some sort of hiking guide.

Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb