Pine Creek with Pai


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday 30th March 2009
I took Pai for a hike to Pine Creek. It is a strange place - even before you get in to the steep creek walls it seems totally out of place in the Mojave Desert. There are ponderosa pine trees that are normally found at much higher elevation. There is a nice stream with vocal frogs and a little meadow - all within a few minutes walk of relatively barren desert. As you progress further in you seem to be traveling to a completely different climate.

There is also the remains of Old Man Wilson's place. He made a home there in the 20s and landscaped a garden and orchard. You can still see his garden area which is still relatively free from shrubs. He only stayed there 10 years before moving to the city (Vegas) in 1933.

It is also a popular destination for climbers, with all sides being scaled by climbers as we hiked in.

We went as far as we could without being able to strap Pai on to my back. On the way back we took an alternative route, stopping off at a natural 'diving board' (with no pool) that we just had to walk on to and lay with our heads over the side.

Video of the hike here




Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb