Mile After Mile of Empty Desert, Except Quite a Lot Actually


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
August 13th 2010
Published: August 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Desert Wind FarmDesert Wind FarmDesert Wind Farm

Massive wind farm in the Mojave National Preserve.
After three nights in Yosemite we unfortunately needed to drive back to Las Vegas for our flight back home. 450 miles and seven and a half hours later, we eventually crawled back into Vegas. The journey was mostly uneventful desert, apart, that is, from Edwards Air-force Base, which we understood from our trip to the Kennedy Space Centre (see The Best Theme Park in Florida) serves as the Space Shuttles' alternative landing site, the biggest wind-farm that I have ever seen and a huge parking site for disused commercial aircraft.

We also saw somewhere called the Calico Ghost Town, which sounded very interesting, but we made the collective decision (I was over-ruled) that we would not stop there.

It took six years, but I did get my way eventually, as we made an excursion from Los Angles when we came back this way in 2016 (see A Wild West Copy of Disney Frontier Land).

It was a Friday evening and the road to Vegas was extremely busy - I guess it was everyone heading there for the weekend. Mind you the traffic in the opposite direction was even more busy, so there were obviously a lot of people getting just as keen to get out as well.

Eventually, we arrived in Las Vegas for the last night of our holiday at a hotel by the airport.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb