Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge: Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Boulder Dam
May 22nd 2012
Published: May 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Last year, my family and I traveled to Las Vegas and made a stop at Hoover Dam. This was the fourth time for me since the beginning of the construction of the bridge over the dam. The construction was aimed at diverting traffic away from the dam for security reasons. It was a massive undertaking which took time, labor and money to complete.

In March 2012, the American Society of Civil Engineers awarded the Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge with the 2012 Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement Award, is also known as the Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge. From my previous blog you probably know that we crossed the bridge on our way to Las Vegas from the Grand Canyon.

Last week, we decided to make another trip to Las Vegas from the Grand Canyon where we had taken my sister for a tour. We naturally stopped at Hoover Dam and walked across the now completed bridge. From above, the marvel of the dam is undeniable.

No wonder it is classified among the top 100 Wonders of the World. A lot of information about the dam and bridge, their construction and purpose is on display as one enters the
Hoover Dam Bypass BridgeHoover Dam Bypass BridgeHoover Dam Bypass Bridge

With my husband Mark
secure dam entrance. The old road through has now been closed off and one can only go so far to the top before turning back down. More parking has been added for visitors, I believe the parking fees is $7 per vehicle. A must see for anyone driving to and from Arizona or Nevada. The Bridge connects the two states providing great photo opportunity for the Hoover Dam.

"Travel is an exciting and adventurous passion, it is quite expensive but the reward outweighs the expense. If you can afford it, do it!" Africancrab.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Hoover Dam Bypass BridgeHoover Dam Bypass Bridge
Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge

With my girlfriend Agnes
Hoover Dam Bypass BridgeHoover Dam Bypass Bridge
Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge

Me at the sign of the bridge
Hoover Dam Bypass BridgeHoover Dam Bypass Bridge
Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge

With my husband Mark


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0971s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb