Lauritzen Gardens - Omaha, NE USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nebraska » Omaha
May 26th 2011
Published: June 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

By the time I arrived at Lauritzen Gardens the clouds had mostly cleared and the sun was beginning to warm everything up. Lauritzen Gardens is, as their website says, an “urban oasis.”
Your senses are flooded with the vivid colors and architectural arrangements throughout the park. From the Peony Garden to the Sunpu Castle Gate and Mt. Fuji replica, the gardens are an absolute Eden to walk through.
The Victorian Garden, bordered by red brick walls and ornamental iron, are lined by perennial flowers, vines, and accents that give each section its own appeal. The aroma drifting through the air is sweet; the aura of the garden is such that it is impossible not to relax as you are walking through. The reflecting pool in the center serves to enhance the atmosphere.
The Peony Garden and Rose Garden are a visual treat where vivid colors abound. The sunshine made the colors pop even more. I probably spent more time in these two gardens taking photos than any other part. It appeared that some new rose bushes were in the process of being planted. When everything blooms out I can only imagine the splendor.
An interesting addition was the Sunpu Castle Gate and Mt. Fuji replica. The replica stands at 377.6 inches tall. The real Mt. Fuji stands at 3,776 meters tall making it 400 times larger than replica. The walk to the replica is lined with carved stone lanterns adding to the authenticity.
Though I am far from being an expert on flowers and landscaping, you do not have to be to enjoy the different styles of gardens and the multitudes of flowers. The landscaping makes it impossible to not relax as you walk from the Festival Garden to the Founder’s Garden.
A bonus, especially if you have children, is the Model Railroad Garden, which has several trains running through miniature replicas of famous architectural designs. Bridges span overhead as the kids were running back and forth, every train that approached brought more excitement in their steps and voices.
Across the parking lot are the steps that lead to Kenefick Park, at the top of which you can explore around two of the biggest Union Pacific locomotives. Standing at the rail you can look out over Nebraska and Iowa and scout the Missouri River Valley. Take the time to read the plaques that line the walk to the locomotives, there is a lot of history to learn.



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb