Memorial Stadium


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nebraska » Lincoln
January 25th 2012
Published: January 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Corn Nation



Imagine an entire state having one common love. No, I am not talking about the love of corn. I am talking about the love of the Cornhuskers. The Cornhuskers are the University of Nebraska at Lincoln (UNL) football team. We used to be called the Bug-eaters, we answer to Huskers, or Big Red.<span> The Huskers play at Memorial Stadium; also known as Home of the Greatest Fans of College Football according to Fox Sports Network.









Memorial Stadium has been the home of Nebraska football since 1923 and holds the NCAA record for most sell-out games. EVER. The stadium has sold out for the past 322 games (www.huskers.com). This stadium holds <span>36,501 people. On college football Saturday, Memorial Stadium is the fourth largest “city” in state!







<span>During football season, Memorial Stadium experiences all four of Nebraska’s seasons- humid, rainy, blizzard and -last but not least- beautiful PERFECT fall. Being a season ticket holder for 3 years, I have experienced all of these seasons. Although humid, rainy and blizzard don’t sound like any fun, each unique game has one thing in common. HUSKER POWER!







<span>The Blackshirts (the husker defense) is known for being the best in the country. You will see people throw “bones” (see image below).





















<span>Huskers come up with the most clever sayings as well. Some include we bleed HUSKER red, Bo knows best (head coach), give them the corn finger, corn and football: nothing else needed, the good life and my favorite “Any references to corn-fed about our women will get you whipped…by our women.” Nebraska folk have the best sense of humor, and I guess it’s required when you have to switch from the heater to the air conditioner in one day….







<span>SEASON OPENER- First game of the season the BEST game to attend. Fans are optimistic about the upcoming season and in an overall happy mood. This game is normally played in the lingering summer heat. When I say heat I mean about 85 degrees, with 90%!h(MISSING)umidity. Now that doesn’t sound too appealing to most people, however the environment around you makes you forget about it. As you enter the city, there is traffic because of the game; something that does NOT occur often in Lincoln, Nebraska. What is unusual about this is as you roll your windows down, you can already hear chants of GOOO BIIIG REDDD. You can smell fresh, unpolluted Midwestern air. As you enter downtown (where the stadium is located) there are hundreds of people wearing red. As you grab a bite to eat downtown (steak is suggested), I am always amazed at how friendly the people are. Doors are always held open, “please” and “thank you” are regularly used and it wouldn’t surprise me if you got a high five from a stranger (this is if you’re sporting husker red of course).







<span>Going into the later seasons, there are weather adversities such as rain or snow. Do you think that stops the good mood and the Husker spirit? OF COURSE NOT. This video gives a glimpse of the husker spirit- and what you get to see on the husker vision during game day.







<span><a href="
<br>class="MsoNormal"><span> </p><p> </p><p><span>Yes, it is “hick” but last time I checked waving is friendly. Yes, we have internet. Yes, everything is cheaper here. No, you don’t get cell reception sometimes (a good escape once in a while, yes?) <span> If you aren’t convinced to come visit yet, how about some jokes? </p><p> </p><p><span> </p><p> </p><p><strong>Nebraska Tourism Tips For Coastal People</strong> <br> <br> Because of misunderstandings that frequently develop when New Yorkers and Californians cross states such as Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, or Missouri, those states' Tourism Councils have adopted a new policy. In an effort to help outsiders understand the rural Midwesterner's mind, the following list will be handed to each person as they enter the State. <br> <br> 1. That slope-shouldered farm boy did more work before breakfast than you do all week at the gym. <br> <br> 2. It's called a 'gravel road'. No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get dust on your Navigator. I have a four wheel drive because I need it. Drive it or get it out of the way.<br> <br> 3. We all started hunting and fishing when we were seven years old. Yeah, we saw Bambi. We got over it.<br> <br> 4. Any references to "corn fed" when talking about our women will get you whipped. . . by our women. <br> <br> 5. Go ahead and bring your $600 Orvis Fly Rod. Don't cry to us if a flathead breaks it off at the handle. We have a name for those little 13-inch trout you fish for. . . bait. <br> <br> 6. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot. <br> <br> 7. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards are making their final approach, we will shoot it. You might hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time. <br> <br> 8. That's right. Whiskey is only two bucks. We can buy a fifth for what you paid in the airport for one drink. <br> <br> 9. No, there's no "Vegetarian Special" on the menu. Order steak. Order it rare. Or, you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the two pounds of ham and turkey. Yeah, we have sweet tea. It comes in a glass with two packets of sugar and a long spoon. <br> <br> 10. You bring Coke into my house, it better be brown, wet, and served over ice. <br> <br> 11. So you have a sixty-thousand dollar car. We're real impressed. We have quarter of a million dollar combines that we use two weeks a year. <br> <br> 12. Let's get this straight. We have one stoplight in town. We stop when it's red. We may even stop when it's yellow. <br> <br> 13. Our women hunt, fish, and drive trucks-because they want to. So, you're a feminist. Isn't that cute? <br> <br> 14. Yeah, we eat catfish, carp too--and turtle. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the bait shop. <br> <br> 15. They are pigs. That's what they smell like. Get over it. Don't like it? Interstates 70 & 80 go two ways--Interstate 35 goes the other two. Pick one and use it accordingly.<br> <br> 16. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season. It's a religious holiday. You can get breakfast at the church. <br> <br> 17. So every person in every pickup waves. It's called being friendly. Understand the concept? <br> <br> 18. Yeah, we have golf courses. Don't hit in the water hazards. It spooks the fish. <br> <br> 19. That Highway Patrol Officer that just pulled you over for driving like an idiot. . . his name is "Sir". . . no matter how old he is.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb