Grand Geyser and its Family


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » West Yellowstone
September 15th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was the turn of Old Faithful geyser at the Upper Geyser Basin to entertain and amaze us today. But it was her sister geysers that had us captivated.

We arrived at the Wall Mart sized parking lot just 30 minutes before Old Faithful was scheduled to erupt and found a front row seat among 300 eager geyser gazers. Old Faithful was a little late but nobody cared as the weather was clear blue sky and 20 deg C. Unfortunately the breeze was blowing steam towards us so the water spray was hidden. However we saw its next eruption from the other side and enjoyed it again.

Then we toured the remaining pools, springs and geysers at the Upper Basin. There was enough to see for a full afternoon and we had to postpone two other geyser basins for another day.

Three memorable geysers: Anemone, Morning Glory and Grand were recorded in HD video. Each has its own personality. Anemone fills with hot water, erupts and then water sinks back into its throat only to repeat in 5 minutes. Morning Glory is a 10 metre wide pool of green surrounded by orange with wisps of steam rising from the surface. Grand erupted for about 10 minutes after we spent a hour waiting on benches and when it finished the 100 gazers clapped and shouted.

We left Upper Geyser Basin completely amazed by the experience and ate supper of baby back ribs in West Yellowstone. Last night it froze in the campground. It was clear again today so another frost is expected.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Anemone GeyserAnemone Geyser
Anemone Geyser

Old Faithful in the distance
Old Faithful in the DistanceOld Faithful in the Distance
Old Faithful in the Distance

True to its name, Old Faithful erupted four times while we were there.
Another Hot SpringAnother Hot Spring
Another Hot Spring

The hotter pools were blue, cooler ones were orange.
Giant GeyserGiant Geyser
Giant Geyser

We waited for more than an hour to see this one, but it was well worth the wait.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb