Day 116 - Dam, Canoes and Hotel


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » West Glacier
August 24th 2013
Published: May 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hungry Horse Dam & Reservoir, Canoeing on Lake McDonald and checking out Lake McDonald Hotel - this was our agenda for the day. We had a great time learning all about Hungry Horse Dam and it's power sources for the states of Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon and parts of California. The reservoir is 35 miles long and they say the trout fishing on the lake is wonderful. After a quick lunch back at the rigs we headed for Lake McDonald in hopes of renting canoes for an hour or so. We spend about an hour on the lake and battled the wind back to the shore. I think my arms might be a little sore tomorrow. After we safely got back to shore we all agreed we deserved some Huckleberry ice cream and yogurt. Did you know - 98% of the Huckleberries produced in the US come from this area of Montana AND 20% of the population in West Glacier earn their living strictly from Huckleberry products. Who knew... After our yummy ice cream and yogurt we headed up the road to the Lake McDonald Hotel. Several folks we talked to said it was a must see, so that is what we did. We all agreed it would be a lovely place to stay in the park, but the rates START at $189 a night. Back we went to our rigs and $38 a night camping fees.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0874s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb