Glacier National Park - Many Glacier Hotel


Advertisement
Published: August 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

About an hour down the road from Waterton Park is Glacier National Park. In 1932 these parks became the first International Peace Park celebrating the world’s longest undefended boarder in the world. In the 1970’s they were designated Biosphere Reserves and in 1995 a World Heritage site.

After settling in at the St. Mary’s campground, we went to the Many Glacier Hotel. This hotel holds some of my most treasured memories. Surrounded by mountains on the shores of Swift Current Lake this is Swiss-styled chalet was built in early 1900’s. David and I came here on our honey moon nearly 31 years ago. We had my parent's car and tent trailer and had planned on staying in the nearby campground. However, there was a bear in the area and no soft-sided trailers were allowed. So, we stayed one night in this wonderful hotel. At that time, the hotel was staffed by music students from all across the U.S. In the dining room, they sang songs as they served our food. I still can see them singing “consider yourself at home...” from the musical Oliver. Later that night, there was a performance in the hotel lobby that guests viewed from the three floors of balconies. Today as we entered the hotel all those wonderful memories came flooding back as I sat with my eyes closed in the lobby listening to a man play a violin ... Many Glacier Hotel ... many, many memories ...



We added to those memories this evening by having a wonderful meal in the dining room. It has been restored to look more like it did when it was first built with a soaring ceiling and exposed rafters. We sat at a table for two over-looking the turquoise waters of Swift Current Lake as the sun shimmered on the water.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 29; qc: 126; dbt: 0.1048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb